Volleyball shows resurgence

Volleyball won its home opener in style on Tuesday, defeating Indiana’s Wilmington College Quakers 3-0, after emerging victorious from two of their four matches at a weekend tournament at Otterbein University in Westerville.

The Ladies’ record now stands at 3-2, the first time in over four years it has exceeded .500.

Tuesday’s match gave the Ladies a chance to show off their improved play to a home crowd, and the team did not disappoint. In their 3-0 win against Wilmington, the Ladies received contributions from many key players. In the first match, first year Alexi Donnelly led the way by serving five straight points at the beginning of the match. Wilmington appeared to crack under pressure in the second set, as the Quakers were charged with nine errors, eventually losing the match in set three.

“Yesterday was a great way to start our season at home,” Coach Amanda Krampf said on Wednesday. “We were able to see moments of greatness as well as areas we hope to improve in.” The team has plenty of work ahead of them as they gear up to play the College of Mount Saint Joseph Lions on their turf in Cincinnati on Friday.

Last weekend’s tournament presented a prime opportunity for the Ladies to demonstrate their improvement over last season, when the team went 6-24. On Friday, the Ladies opened their season with a full five-set victory over Capital University (Bexley, Ohio). The team followed that up by falling 3-0 to Case Western Reserve University (Cleveland). On Saturday, the Ladies shook off an early 3-0 loss to Otterbein to claim a 3-0 victory over Berea College (Berea, Ky.).