Volleyball extends record to 6-3

Volleyball defeated Earlham College 3-0 on Wednesday night, extending their season record to 6-3.  This winning streak means the Ladies are three games over .500 for the first time in several years.

Before their victory, the Ladies won two of their three matches over the weekend, continuing a run of success that marks a remarkable turnaround from last season. The three matches were played as part of the sixth-annual Charlie Wrubleski Tournament at Mount St. Joseph University in Cincinnati.

While the Ladies lost their match to the Heidelberg University Student Princes (Tiffin, Ohio) in four sets, they played well, erasing multiple deficits and extending the match to a fourth set.

On Saturday, the Ladies played much better, defeating both Mount St. Joseph University and Maryville College (Maryville, Tenn.) by match scores of 3-1. Against Mount St. Joseph University, Delaney Swanson ’18 led the attack with 19 kills and three aces. Katie Goulder ’16 and Tierney McClure ’18 contributed eight and 10 kills, respectively.

Jensen Shurbert ’18 orchestrated the offense against the Maryville College Scots, collecting 36 assists to lead the team. McClure also registered 12 kills in the 3-1 victory.

“There is not only competition with other teams but everyone is competing with each other, which makes us all better,” Shurbert said.

The Ladies next play on Tuesday, when they travel to Ada, Ohio to take on Ohio Northern University at 7 p.m.