Lords steal the show, stay undefeated

Lords steal the show, stay undefeated

The Lords defeated Heidelberg University 2-1 last Sunday to improve to 3-0.

Lords soccer continues to impress on the field, tallying wins against Otterbein University (Westerville, Ohio) and Heidelberg University (Tiffin, Ohio) last weekend.

The Lords (3-0-0) beat Otterbein (0-2-0) on Friday despite getting off to a slow start.  The Lords found themselves down one in the first half after Otterbein scored off a corner in the 20th minute; the ball deflected off a Kenyon player and dropped at the 18-yard box.

Otterbein’s Josh Kellner took advantage of the bounce and volleyed the ball off the post and into the goal, scoring what would be Otterbein’s only goal of the game. It wasn’t until the hour mark that Kenyon  broke though, with Tony Amolo ’17 scoring his second goal of the season on a penalty kick. Three minutes later, Amolo scored again, putting Kenyon in the lead. Later, in the waning moments of the game, Aaron Salm ’17 scored his first collegiate goal.

On Sunday, Kenyon took the field against Heidelberg University (1,1,1), which they played in the first round of the National Collegiate Athletic Association tournament last year, and dominated from start to finish. Many Kenyon players performed well, including Amolo, who scored in the 24th minute, putting the Lords up by one, and again in the 61st minute. Dalton Eudy ’17 scored in the 55th minute.

First-year defender Greg McNeer stole the show with his first collegiate goal, scored in the 33rd minute of the game; Otterbein’s defense cleared the ball out of the box off a cross from Billy O’Neill ’18, but the ball bounced right to McNeer, who drove it into the upper-right-hand corner of the net from 25 yards away. While the goal sparked a roaring cheer from the Kenyon stands, McNeer’s teammates were just as impressed. Amolo admitted that he missed seeing the goal during the game, but added that he “watched it later on slowmo and was amazed by [McNeer’s] technique.”

The two wins improve the Lords’ record to 3-0-0, a great start to a long season. The team is confident moving into the next game, according to Amolo, but is taking things one game at a time.

“Honestly, the last three games do not matter anymore,” Amolo said. “We understand we have to work harder because we have a long season ahead.”

The Lords’ next game is against Carnegie Mellon University (Pittsburgh) on Saturday at Mavec Field. Kenyon has their work cut out for them as they look to move to 4-0-0 against a Carnegie Mellon team that is also 3-0-0 and has an 8-0 win under their belt.