Lords extend season mark to 7-0

Lords extend season mark to 7-0

Lords soccer (7-0) remained undefeated after notching consecutive 2-0 wins at Centre College (Danville, Ky.) on Sunday and Muskingum University (New Concord, Ohio) on Tuesday.

Kenyon’s offense started slow against Centre (2-4-1), with just two shots in the first half and no goals. However, defense stepped up, preventing the Colonels from getting any shots off. The Lords picked up the pace in the second half as the offense found its form, firing off 14 shots, including two that found the back of the net. It was Jordan Glassman ’17 who found the net first in the second half, tucking the ball into the goal after the Colonels’ keeper saved Woo Jeon’s ’18 header. This was Glassman’s seventh goal of the season.  The Lords put the game out of reach in the 88th minute when Jeon knocked in the Lords’ second goal off a pass from Dalton Eudy ’17.

Against Muskingum (2-4) on Tuesday, the Lords started the game firing on all cylinders, putting four shots on goal within the first 10 minutes. However, no one found the net until the 27th minute, when Kenyon’s leading scorer Tony Amolo ’17 collected his 14th goal of the season, shooting from 20 yards out into the right side of the goal. The Lords extended their lead early in the second half when Eudy scored his second goal of the season off an Oliver Wynn ’18 assist. Throughout the second half, the Lords’ defense remained stout, limiting the Fighting Muskies to two shots. Only one of the Muskies’ seven shots in the game was on goal.

While the Lords outshot their opponents 44 to seven in the two games, the defense stole the show. After letting in a few sloppy goals against a talented Carnegie Mellon team three games ago, they have not let up a goal and have limited their three subsequent opponents to just 15 shots. Against Centre, the Lords’ defense gave up two shots on goal, and only one true opportunity, which goalie Sam Clougher ’17 saved. In the following game, the Lords only gave up six shots, just three of them on target.

In tallying two more wins, the Lords also moved up to second place in two Division III national rankings, behind only reigning national champion Tufts University.

“We’ve had as good of a start as we could’ve asked for so far this season,” Eudy said on Wednesday. “Now being ranked second in the nation it’s important for us to not get complacent. Our biggest adversary moving forward is ourselves, and we must find ways to keep ourselves fired up and motivated.”

The Lords open NCAC conference play on Sept. 26 against Wittenberg University and look to stay undefeated as they enter the most important part of their season.