Lords defeat Carnegie Mellon in strong home weekend

Dalton Eudy ’17, is an important member of the Lords’ well rounded attack on offense.

Kenyon men’s soccer maintained their perfect record this weekend by defeating the Carnegie Mellon University Tartans (Pittsburgh) 4-3 and the Marietta College Pioneers (Marietta, Ohio) 4-0.

Carnegie Mellon threatened to tarnish the Lords’ record as they took an early lead and didn’t give it up until late in the second half. Carnegie Mellon scored in the first five minutes of the game on a contested goal, in which Kenyon goalie Sam Clougher ’17  may have been fouled as he was pushed into the goal before the ball had crossed the goal line. Yet two minutes later, Tony Amolo ’17 capitalized on a mistake by the Tartans’ goalie, passing the ball into an empty net to tie the game up. The tie was short-lived, however, as Carnegie Mellon scored on a corner kick that was volleyed into the net at the back post by Ryan Stinebaugh. “We gave up some sloppy goals in the first half,” defender Oliver Wynn ’18 said. “We needed to work hard to make up for those in the second half.”

The Lords were up to the task as they scored three goals, including the go-ahead goal by Wynn, which led to an eventual 4-3 win.

The Carnegie Mellon match-up could be considered the first true competition for the Lords, as the Tartans had just defeated the third-ranked Division III soccer program in the nation, Messiah College (Mechanicsburg, Penn.). “The Carnegie Mellon game was a huge test for us, and I think we proved to ourselves and hopefully to other teams that, despite losing so many seniors last year, we can still compete and win games at a high level,” Wynn said.

The Lords cruised past the Marietta Pioneers in the next game, with four different Kenyon players each scoring a goal, leading to an impressive 4-0 win.

In the first half, Josh Lee ’16, Woo Jeon ’18 and Henry Myers ’18 scored goals for the Lords in the eighth, 11th and 27th minutes, respectively.  It marked the first goals of the season for Lee and Jeon and the second for Myers. In the second half, David Resnekov ’16 scored in the 51st minute to extend the lead to 4-0.

This weekend showcased the  Lords’ high-powered offense, which has already scored 18 goals in five games this season. This intensity of offense has helped the Lords remain undefeated through the first five games, scoring no fewer than three goals in any game and stepping up as the defense continues to adjust for the loss of  four starting seniors last year.

“We didn’t lose any of the starters from last year, which is helping us build a stronger attack due to [the team’s] chemistry,” starting forward Jeon said. “Especially having Tony up top with the goals he’s been scoring is always a bonus. In addition, we brought in a good freshman class and they’ve quickly gelled with the team style of play and contribute to the goal count.”

With these two wins, the Lords moved into the top three in two national polls for DIII soccer. In the ranking by d3soccer.com, Kenyon earned second in the nation, while in the ranking by the National Soccer Coaches Association of America, Kenyon earned third.