Ladies’ soccer rebounds after skid

The soccer gods don’t always reward the team that should win — at least not the team that shows defensive prowess. The Ladies (1-3-0) dropped two straight games over the weekend despite conceding only three goals.

A late goal in the second period of overtime against Hanover College of Hanover, Ind. (2-1-0) handed the Ladies a narrow 2-1 defeat Saturday at Mavec Field, while a lack of offensive edge doomed the Ladies to a 1-0 defeat against the University of Mount Union of Alliance, Ohio (1-2-0) on Sunday.

“It’s still early in the season but we have in practices been focusing on defense,” Marie Laube ’16, who is a team captain as well as an integral piece of the Ladies’ back four said. Against Hanover, for example, the Ladies withstood 15 shots after allowing a Panthers goal with the game tied 1-1, Alissa Poolpol ’16 made an acrobatic save on a penalty kick, but the Panthers ultimtately finished off the Ladies at the 105-minute mark.

Head Coach Kelly Bryan credited Poolpol with being “one of the best goalkeepers in our region, not just our conference, and she did everything she possibly could do this past weekend to keep us in the game.”

Kenyon got off to a promising start against the Panthers, with forward Maggie Smith ’17 bagging the game’s first goal off a Laube free kick. Smith has scored two of the team’s three total goals this season and is responsible for nine of its 29 shots on goal.

Facing Mount Union on a scorching-hot Sunday afternoon, the Ladies were unable to crack the Purple Raiders’ defense, lobbing easy shots at the opposing goalkeeper. The Ladies dominated possession, 50-50 balls and shots, outshooting the Raiders 29 – 6, but let in a Mount Union goal from a counterattack to end the game 1 – 0. “We want to be scoring at least one goal every game,” Laube said.

Yesterday, the Ladies reversed the tide, defeating John Carroll University (University Heights, Ohio) 2-0. The Ladies next play away against Anderson University (Anderson, Ind.) on Saturday and Manchester University (North Manchester, Ind.) on Sunday.