Ladies’ soccer drops opener

Women’s soccer opened the 2015 season with a 1-0 loss on Tuesday in a close encounter against Ohio Northern University, a team that got the better of the Ladies last season when they conquered Kenyon 4-1. The Ladies are looking to ride the momentum of last year’s dream season and make up for the loss of its third all-time leading scorer, Becca Romaine ’15, left a legacy of goal-scoring gusto after the 2014 season. In four years of play, she amassed a total of 50 goals and 113 points for the Ladies. Romaine returns this season as the Ladies’ assistant coach. “She, prolifically, was somebody who knew how to find the back of the net,” Head Coach Kelly Bryan told Kenyon Sports Connection (KSC). This year Maggie Smith ’17, who scored nine goals last season, Virginia Fergusson ’18 and other players in forward positions will have to increase production to fill the offensive void. Additionally, the Ladies will have to prepare for revamped conference foes gunning to usurp the Ladies’ NCAC crown and crack their cagey defense. “It’s exciting to have a target on your back,” Bryan told KSC. The Ladies next play host to Hanover College on Sept. 5 at 1 p.m. at Mavec Field.