Ladies on win streak

The defending North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) champion Ladies soccer team returned from Indiana undefeated this weekend, after beating nonconference opponents Anderson University (Anderson, Ind.) 3-1 and Manchester University (North Manchester, Ind.) 4-0. The Ladies are now on a three-game winning streak, in which they’ve scored nine goals and allowed only one.

The team feels positive now despite losing their first three games. “We were looking to turn a corner this weekend after the first couple games, and I think we’ve done that pretty well,” goalkeeper Alissa Poolpol ’16 said. Poolpol is now tied for second in the NCAC in shutouts (two) and saves (26).

According to Poolpol, the Ladies have a lot to feel good about moving forward. Each team member played this weekend and contributed in some capacity in their two wins.

The Ladies (3-3) defeated Anderson (2-2) thanks to Maggie Smith ’17, who scored two goals and had an assist in the game, and some stout defense. Despite letting the Ravens score in the 12th minute of play, the Ladies allowed only two shots on goal the entire match.

On Sunday against the Manchester Spartans (2-3), the Ladies had 34 total shots to Manchester’s eight. First-year Brianna Maggard came off the bench and scored the first two goals of her Kenyon career against the Spartans. Maggard scored her first goal off a corner kick, assisted by fellow first year Meredith Rogers. Before halftime, Maggard put the ladies up 2-0, unassisted.

In the second half against Manchester, within minutes of each other, sophomores Gillian Blackwell and Emma Klug scored their first goals of the season. Blackwell poked a shot into the net in the 71st minute, and Klug scored on a breakaway off of an assist from Claudia Brown ’19 in the 73rd.

The Ladies travel to Defiance, Ohio today to take on the Defiance College Yellow Jackets at 4 p.m.