First years power Ladies cross-country

The Lords and Ladies competed at the Otterbein Invitational (Westerville, Ohio) on Saturday in the first 8K race for the Lords and 6K race for the Ladies on the season. The Lords, missing Sam Lagasse ’16, one of their key runners, finished 12th out of 17 teams, while the Ladies finished fourth out of 17 teams, their strongest showing this season so far.

Once again, the Ladies were paced by first-year runners Andrea Ludwig and Quinn Harrigan, who were the first two Ladies to cross the line and score for Kenyon. Ludwig, who finished 12th of 211 runners in the race, ran a time of 23:24 in her first collegiate 6K. Harrigan finished 18th in a time of 24 minutes flat. 

“Andrea and Quinn are racing very well, especially for just beginning their college careers in racing,” Head Coach Duane Gomez said.

While the Ladies’ first-year talent may have dominated the team’s Saturday showing, they also received strong finishes from their upperclassmen. Samantha White ’16 finished 30th in a time of 24:19, while Claire Naughton ’17 completed the race just a step behind White with a time of 24:21, good for 32nd place.

The Lords didn’t have as much team success on Saturday as the Ladies, but several team members ran well. Nat Fox ’16 was the Lords’ top runner on Saturday, running the 8K in 26:41 to collect a 10th-place finish. After Fox, there was a gap before Kyle Rose ’19, Kenyon’s second runner, crossed the line with a time of 27:53 and a 55th-place finish. Not long after, Jon Levitt ’16 finished with a time of 28:11, a personal record time by a significant margin.  Levitt’s previous PR was 29:19, which he ran in 2012.

The Lords and Ladies have the next weekend off from meets before they travel to Cedarville University (Cedarville, Ohio) for the All-Ohio Championship meet on Oct. 2.