Women’s tennis pull out upset

Women’s tennis pull out upset

By Peter Dola

Kenyon women’s tennis finished its season last weekend with a third-place finish in the North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) tournament. Kenyon initially faced off against Allegheny College, and made quick work of the Gators, winning 5-2. Elise Altschuler ’16 and Abigail Younger ’15 led the singles play, defeating their opponents 6-1, 6-4 and 6-4, 6-1, respectively. Kenyon then swept the doubles competition, cementing the win.  However, the Ladies fell 6-0 on Sunday against nationally 14th-ranked DePauw University, who went on to win the tournament for the fourth straight year. In the last match of the tournament, Kenyon upset the nationally 35th ranked Oberlin College Yeowomen 5-4 to finish third in the NCAC. The Ladies’ win came just 10 days after a tough 7-2 home loss to Oberlin in Gambier.

Kenyon was led by great singles play as Jenna Murray ’17, Samantha Murphy ’16, Grace Winslow ’18 and Altschuler all won their matches in two sets. To top off the 5-4 upset, the doubles team of Diana Aboubakare ’18 and Samantha Murphy won 9-8, 7-1.  “I’m proud of how resilient my team is, especially because we lost to [Oberlin] in season,” Aboubakare said. She added that the Ladies are looking forward to next season. “It’s sad that we are losing our senior, Abigail Younger, but I have a really good feeling about next year,” Aboubakare said. “Our team chemistry will be even stronger and we have three incoming freshmen that will really make a difference.”