Track and Field take Marvin Frye

By Anna Dunlavey

The track and field team went out to Ohio Wesleyan University’s (OWU) George Gauthier Track for the first of two meets last Saturday at the Marvin Frye Invitational. The meet included some of the best teams in Ohio, and even some Division II schools. The Lords finished in 12th place and the Ladies in 10th out of the 12 teams competing. “We didn’t score a ton of points, but we had a lot of personal bests, so we’re moving in the right direction,” Head Coach Duane Gomez said.

The best event for both the Lords and Ladies proved to be the 400-meter hurdles. Emma Levant ’16 had a personal record and Ladies’ season best in the event. She finished fourth with a time of 1:06.56. Alton Barbehenn ’17 came in third in the event on the men’s side. His finishing time of 57.50 was also a season’s best for the Lords.

Harlee Mollenkopf ’15 had the best finish of her Kenyon career in the 5,000-meter race. She finished in third place with a time of 18:45.75, shaving off almost a minute from her personal record of 19:33.44 which she set during the indoor season. Her time now stands as the fastest 5K finish from the team this season, and the fourth-best time in the North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC).

Jackson Pine ’17 faced a small fiasco when his javelin shoes were taken from his bag, but that setback didn’t stop him from earning another personal and Lords’ season record. He placed fourth in the javelin throw with a throw of 46.21 meters

About 40 percent of the team had personal records at the meet, even though the final team results might not reflect that. Gomez said that although the team is strong in some events, they lack depth in others. “We can score really well in certain areas, but we don’t have a ton of people scoring after that,” he said.

Next weekend, the Lords and Ladies head back to OWU for the All-Ohio Championships. Two All-Ohio qualifiers, Sam Lagasse ’16 and Nat Fox ’16, won’t be competing. They will be running at Bucknell University’s Bison Outdoor Classic.