Personal records abound at track’s outdoor home meet

By Anna Dunlavey

Seven teams came to Gambier on Saturday to compete in the Kenyon Spring Invitational at Kenyon’s outdoor Wilder Track, which encircles McBride Field. The Lords and Ladies both broke multiple personal and season records. The Ladies finished in third place, and the Lords took eighth.
“It was a really good day for the team,” Tanner Zaas ’15 said. “Beyond the fact that there were a lot of really good performances, we had a lot of fun.”

“We looked really strong,” Jonah Edwards ’18 said of the team’s home performance. “I think we’re looking good for conferences.”

The most exciting finish of the day came from Nat Fox ’16. He crossed the line in the 1,500-meter race at almost the exact same time as Allegheny College first year Carter Smith, and it came down to a photo to determine the winner. Ultimately, Fox came out on top, with a season-best time of 4:04.17. “You see sprint events that close, but I’ve never seen a 1,500 that close,” Head Coach Duane Gomez said.

Edwards, who was one of the Ladies’ top performers in the indoor season, had been sidelined for most of the outdoor season due to injury. This meet was her outdoor debut, and she placed fourth in the 400-meter dash with a time of 1:02.24. “I was really nervous about it, but it went pretty well,” Edwards said. “I’m definitely headed in the right direction.”

Colton Orr ’18, also made his return from injury. He earned two fifth-place finishes: in the 110-meter hurdles, where he finished in 16.41, and in the 400-meter hurdles, where he finished in 1:01.38. Gomez praised Edwards and Orr for making the comeback. “Some people would just give up, but they’re out there still,” he said.

Mollie O’Leary ’17 had another great performance in the 1,500-meter run, finishing in third place with a season-best time of 4:55.78. In the 5,000-meter race, Ellen Corcoran ’18 finished third with a time of 20:06.17 and Madeline Frank ’18 finished fourth with a time of 20:15.44.

Emma Levant ’16 finished in second place in the 400-meter hurdles with a season-best time of 1:06.47. In the steeplechase, Colleen Kelley ’18 finished in second with a time of 14:44.12. Devron Martin ’18 and Casey Brumback ’16 both competed in the triple jump. Martin finished second and Brumback took third. Aisha Simon ’15 finished eighth in the 800-meter race, and her time of 2:23.75 beat her previous record by three seconds.

Subei Kyle ’17 ran season-best times in both the 100-meter and 200-meter dashes. In the 100, she finished fourth in 13.13, and in the 200, she finished fifth in 26.70. On the men’s side, Alex Benthem de Grave ’16 also had a season’s best in both the 100-meter and 200-meter dashes. He finished 12th in the 100 in 11.86, and 15th in the 200 in 24.55.

Charles Cutler ’17 joined the 4×400-meter-relay team of Zaas, Alton Barbehenn ’17 and Ar’Reon Watson ’18, and they finished in fifth place with a time of 3:36.02. “We competed really well,” Zaas said. “We were having a great time.”

Both sides also did well in field events. Jackson Pine ’17 continued beating his personal bests in the javelin, this time reaching 47.14 meters and placing third. Kevin Phillips ’15 tied for third place in the high jump and Lucas Herweyer ’15 placed third in the discus throw. For the Ladies, Funmilayo Lawal ’18 had a personal best in the shot put. Her throw of 33.52 meters earned her a seventh-place finish.

On Friday, the team will head to Granville, Ohio for Denison University’s Last Chance Meet. Gomez said that at this point “everybody’s tuning up and getting ready to go” for the conference championships next week. “Even though it’s considered a low-key meet, it’s still a meet,” Zaas said. “We just want to get everything we can out of it.”