Lords win one, lose three in high-scoring Wooster series

Courtesy of Tom Hardacker

By Anna Dunlavey

The Lords scored a total of 35 runs in four games this weekend, which, in any other case, would be a good indication that they swept their series against the College Of Wooster. However, they were only able to take one win away from the Fighting Scots. After splitting Saturday’s doubleheader, Wooster, now 18-3, won both games in Sunday’s high-scoring contests. The Lords’ record is now 14-10, and 4-4 in North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) play.

“I felt that we competed very well with them and in fact had a shot to win all four games,” Head Coach Matt Burdette wrote in an email to the Collegian. Matt von Roemer ’18 agreed. “Wooster’s a very good team, and if you make too many mistakes, they’re going to take advantage.”

Saturday was a record day for Jake Dunn ’15. With his 200th hit, in the second game of the doubleheader, he officially passed Nate Lotze ’14 as the Lords’ all-time leader in hits. “It’s been a pretty cool feeling,” Dunn said, citing his teammates and coaching staff over the past four years for helping him get to this point.

Wooster was up 3-0 by the end of the first inning of the first game, but Kenyon had a 4-3 lead by the bottom of the second. However, three unanswered Wooster runs led to a 6-4 Fighting Scots victory.

It took a little bit longer for the scoring to start in the second game, but as before, Wooster was first. However, a single from von Roemer scored Max Heldman ’16, and then von Roemer scored on Dunn’s record-setting hit. The Lords scored again in the fourth and fifth innings, and led the game 4-2 until the top of the seventh. After a Wooster batter was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded, and another run scored immediately after on a single, the game was tied up at four. The Lords regained the lead when Eric Sutton ’18 scored on a wild pitch, and Max Warren ’18 scored the insurance run. Thomas Morris ’17 got the win after throwing eight innings and striking out a season’s-best 10 batters. Spencer Byers ’16 got the save after a scoreless ninth.

The weather on Sunday made things a bit tougher, with heavy winds and bright sun, and Wooster commanded the first game, leading 17-6 by the bottom of the sixth. Kenyon then rallied to score 10 runs in that inning, a rally that began and ended with Nam. His single in his first at bat of the inning scored two runs, and his double at the end scored three. However, Wooster’s closer shut down the Lords in the bottom of the seventh to end the game 17-16.

The Fighting Scots dominated the first inning of the second game as well, scoring six runs in the first inning. “Being down that many before you come to bat for the first time is a very daunting task,” Burdette said, but the Lords tried to stage another rally, with solo home runs from von Roemer, Cormac Jewell ’18 and Dunn. Then, with the bases loaded in the seventh, von Roemer hit a double to score three Lords and make it 12-9. The Lords were unable to tie it up and the Fighting Scots scored four more runs.

“I don’t think anyone expected what happened,” Dunn said of the weekend. “The amount of scoring was unprecedented so far this season for us.” Although the Lords maintained offensive power throughout the weekend, von Roemer acknowledged that “defensively, we didn’t play as well as we could have.”

The Lords are headed to Oberlin College this weekend for two days of doubleheaders, and they won’t let the Wooster series loss get them down. “Sometimes things don’t go our way,” Dunn said, calling Wooster “a very good opponent.”