Lords extend win streak

by Alexandra Hansen

Ninth-ranked Lords tennis reigned over their North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) opponents this weekend. These wins simultaneously improved the Lords’ overall season record to 15-5, and NCAC conference record to 5-0.

Sunday’s matches against Allegheny College and Oberlin College showcased the Lords’ talent. Wade Heerboth ’18 and Colin Haas ’15 paired up for number-two doubles and defeated both teams with a score of 8-4. At number three, Weston Noall ’18 and Alex Rieger ’18 won 8-6 against Allegheny and 8-3 against Oberlin.

The Lords demonstrated particular talent in singles. Heerboth continued his win streak for the day by winning number-two singles against Oberlin. Joining Heerboth with spotless singles records were Sam Geier ’16, Jacob Huber ’15, Tim Rosensteel ’15 and Davis Thrailkill ’15.

Monday’s matchup against the College of Wooster produced similar success. Coach Scott Thielke chose to rest his regular starting players after the long weekend, allowing Nicholas Fiaschetti ’17 and Michael Liu ’18 to play at numbers four and five in singles. Geier and Rieger were the day’s two-time winners. Geier played doubles and singles at the number-one spot, pairing up with Haas to win 8-3, and later defeating Wooster 6-2, 6-0 in singles. Rieger also showed success when teaming up with Noall at number-three doubles, winning 8-4 and later 6-7, 6-4, 10-6 at number-six singles.

The Lords’ win against Wooster bumped their NCAC regular-season win streak to 65 matches; their last conference loss was to Denison University in April 2000. Heerboth explained, “The team chemistry is the best I have seen it in my four years at Kenyon, and everyone is on the same page for the rest of the season.” Rieger agreed: “Going forward, these matches give us even more added confidence,” he said.

The Lords will finish up their regular season with a home match on April 18 against Wabash College at 3 p.m. here in Gambier before gearing up for the conference championships and nationals.