Ladies shut down Gators

Ladies shut down Gators

By Rebecca Dann

The women’s lacrosse team had a dominating win this past Saturday on Senior Day against Allegheny College, winning 23-12. This marks the Ladies’ first North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) win of the season, improving their overall record to 6-3 and their conference record to 1-2. “It was a pretty special day,” Head Coach Meredith Buzzi said. “We got to honor five young women who have given a lot to our program for four years of effort and it was nice to get out a big victory on that day.”

Kenyon got off to a strong beginning as Jane Symmes ’16 scored the team’s first goal of the game just two and a half minutes into the start of the first half. Caroline Shipman ’15 scored the Ladies’ second goal just three minutes later. Kenyon continued to score throughout the first half and by the end of the period had 14 goals, while Allegheny only managed eight.

During the second half of the game, the Ladies increased their lead even further by scoring another nine goals. Allegheny tried to catch up, but Kenyon played tough defense, keeping the ball away from their goal. Goalie Meredith Bentsen ’15 made four saves to secure the final score of 23-12.

Kat Englert ’18 scored 11 goals throughout the game, setting a new record for the most goals scored in a single game. The previous Kenyon record was nine goals.

The Ladies next played Ohio Wesleyan University yesterday afternoon on Mavec Field. The Ladies bested down the Battling Bishops, winning the game 13-10.