Ladies blank Baldwin Wallace, fall to Allegheny

By Alexandra Hansen

The Ladies’ dominance against Baldwin Wallace College, whom they beat 9-0 last Monday, did not carry over to their Sunday matchup against Allegheny College, where the Ladies fell 5-4. This loss marks just the second time in the past 30 years that the Ladies have dropped a match to the Allegheny Gators. Previously, the Ladies showed an impressive 33-1 record against the Gators dating back to 1985.

Only number-one doubles found a win for the Ladies: Diana Aboubakare ’18 and Samantha Murphy ’16 defeated Allegheny’s duo, Sun Mo Koo and Sloane Price, 8-2. Although exciting, this win was not enough to ignite the Ladies, who later dropped both number-two and number-three doubles matches 8-3.

Heading into singles, Aboubakare was the only team member to pick up her second win of the day, with a score of 6-1, 7-5. Elise Altschuler ’16 and Abigail Younger ’15 scored the other two singles points for number-five and number-six singles with scores of 6-3, 6-1 and 6-1, 6-1, respectively. With the last match at number-four singles, and the day’s score at 4-4, Grace Winslow ’18 fought hard but fell short in her close three-set battle, 6-2, 5-7, 4-6.

Aboubakare shared her surprise over the match: “We didn’t expect Allegheny to be as strong as they were, but I think it really served as a wake-up call,” she said. This team defeat for Kenyon lowers the Ladies’ record to 7-8 overall and 0-1 in the North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC), but Aboubakare says the team will “work hard to prepare for the NCAC tournament.”

The Ladies then played the College of Wooster Fighting Scots yesterday afternoon and won 8-1. Kenyon has another match today at 4:30 against the Oberlin College Yeowomen here in Gambier.