Women’s lacrosse suffers their first defeat of the season

By Rebecca Dann

The women’s lacrosse team lost their first North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) game of the season this past Saturday against Wittenberg University in Springfield, Ohio, 9-19. The Ladies now have an overall record of 5-1 and an NCAC record of 0-1.

Wittenberg dominated the first half and scored seven goals, while Kenyon was only able to manage to get one goal past the Tiger defense, which Abby Coleman ’17 scored. The Ladies seemed to gain momentum during the second half of the game as they tried to catch the large lead held by Wittenberg. At the start of the second half, the Ladies scored four goals in less than three minutes to bring the score to 7-5. Allie McLane ’17, Coleman, Kelley Russell ’17 and Kat Englert ’18 each contributed a goal. However, Wittenberg retaliated quickly and scored six consecutive goals, increasing their lead to eight points. The Ladies were able to put up four more goals during the remainder of the second half, for a total of eight goals, but it wasn’t nearly enough to catch the Tigers. Coleman scored her third goal of the game, McLane scored her second goal and Jane Symmes ’16 contributed two goals.

The Ladies play The College of Wooster today at 5 p.m. on Mavec Field.