Tennis springs into outdoor season

Tennis springs into outdoor season

By Rebecca Dann

The eighth-ranked men’s tennis team had two successful matches here in Gambier this past weekend against 25th-ranked DePauw University and 30th-ranked Swarthmore College. Last Saturday, the Lords faced the Tigers and dominated, winning 7-2. Even though Kenyon was only able to win one of their doubles matches, in which Wade Heerboth ’15 and Colin Haas ’15 battled for a 9-8 win, the Lords managed to win every singles match. Sam Geier ’16 had an impressive performance and only let up one game in the first set before playing a shutout second set. The following day the Lords took on Swarthmore College and shut them out, winning 9-0. Jake Huber ’15 had an especially strong match, as he won 6-2 in the first set and 6-1 in the second set. The Lords now have a short break from competition and next play April 5 against Carnegie Mellon University in Gambier.

This past Saturday, the women’s tennis team also faced DePauw University, which is ranked 17th nationally. Unfortunately, the Ladies were unable to gain momentum, failing to win a match against the Tigers, allowing DePauw to claim a winning score of 9-0. Grace Winslow ’18 came close to winning her singles match but lost in the third set 7-6. The Ladies next play this coming Tuesday against Denison University.