Track finishes last

By Anna Dunlavey

The indoor track team traveled to the College of Wooster for the second time in as many weeks to compete in the Fighting Scots Invitational on Saturday. Last week’s North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) Quad meet only featured four teams — Kenyon, host Wooster, Ohio Wesleyan University and Allegheny College) — and this meet consisted of the same four teams, plus Denison University. Both the Lords and Ladies placed last in the meet.

The relay teams on both sides were strong. The Lords 4×200 relay, which consisted of Oliver Hightower ’18, Noah Winters ’15, Colton Orr ’18 and Ar’Reon Watson ’18, finished first at 1:34.12. Hightower and Winters also ran in the Lords’ other relay, the 4×400 meters. Alton Barbehenn ’17 and Tanner Zaas ’15 rounded out that team, which finished third with a time of 3:36.56.

The Ladies had two third-place relays of their own. The 4×200 relay team of Jonah Edwards ’18, Emma Levant ’16, Gillian Blackwell ’18 and Subei Kyle ’17 finished with a time of 1:49.51. Edwards, Kyle and Blackwell returned for the 4×400 meters, this time joined by Claire HarnEnz ’17. They finished the event with a time of 4:17.06.

Sam Lagasse ’16 had the best individual finish for both teams. His win in the mile run was the only individual Kenyon win of the day. Lagasse finished the mile in 4:26.93, and teammate Nat Fox ’16 took third in the same event at 4:39.81. Winters had a third-place finish in the 400-meter dash, which he ran in 52.08, and Hightower took second in the 60-meter dash with a finish at 7.25.

Samantha White ’17 finished third in the 800-meter run, crossing the line at 2:32.10. Ellen Corcoran ’18 notched another third place finish for the Ladies in the mile run, with a time of 5:34.93. Aisha Simon ’15 was right behind her in fourth place for that event, finishing with a time of 5:48.25. Edwards took fourth place in the 400-meter dash, clocking in at 1:04.35,

The Lords and Ladies also competed well in non-running events. For the Lords, Lucas Herweyer ’15 placed second in shot put, with a throw of 13.8 meters, and Kevin Phillips ’15 finished third in the high jump after clearing a height of 1.73 meters.

For the Ladies, Casey Brumback ’17 finished fourth in the triple jump after reaching 9.74 meters, and Funmilayo Lawal ’18 had a seventh-place finish in the weight throw, reaching 9.60 meters.

This coming weekend, the Lords and Ladies will head to Denison University to compete in the Bob Shannon Invitational.