Three close games end in losses for women’s basketball

By Rebecca Dann

The women’s basketball team picked up another two losses this past week, against fellow North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) teams Denison University and eighth-ranked DePauw University. The Ladies now have an overall conference record of four wins and 10 losses.

Last Wednesday night, the team traveled to Denison and lost in a close game 43-39. During the first half, the teams appeared evenly matched, but at the start of the second half the Ladies took control of the court and started to gain a considerable lead over their opponent. After 10 minutes of play in the second half, the Ladies had gained a 12-point lead and the score stood at 33-21, with Sarah Hobbs ’15, Sidney Cera ’17 and Bailey Dominguez ’17 all contributing points. Kenyon managed to keep their lead, but Denison slowly began to catch up, closing the gap between the two scores. With just a minute and a half left in the game, Denison tied Kenyon 39-39 and went on to score another four points.

“It was a great game,” Head Coach Suzanne Helfant said. “We were winning the majority of the game, but unfortunately couldn’t hang on in the end. But I do think that those types of games where you’re in hunt [for the conference championships] and you got an opportunity to win is what we’re looking for. Now we just have to figure out a way to consistently score when the games are tight at the end, because we’ve really struggled to do that. But their effort was great, their intensity was great — we just have to figure out a way to seal the deal at the end of the game.”

Kenyon then played this past Saturday against DePauw, which has yet to lose an NCAC game, and has a perfect record of 15 wins and no losses. During the first 10 minutes of the first half, the two teams fought for the lead, but DePauw managed to pull ahead and by the end of the first half they led the Ladies by nine points, with a score of 34-25. During the second half, the Ladies tried to catch DePauw and managed to come within four points of doing so. Unfortunately, the Ladies could not keep up with their opponent, and lost 64-51.

The Ladies still had several impressive performances. Dominguez managed a total of 17 points throughout the game, while Hobbs scored nine points and Lauren Kriete ’15 scored six.

“I thought that our kids came out and played really physical,” Helfant said. “I felt like they believed that they should have been out there [competing with DePauw] instead of being intimidated. Playing with confidence really made a huge difference for us and it was a great game up until the last three minutes.”

Last night, the team traveled to Springfield, Ohio to play Wittenberg University. Kenyon managed to gain the lead near the end of the first half and were able to maintain it well into the second half. The Tigers slowly caught up to the Ladies, though, and with just five minutes left in the game, the score was tied 55-55. Wittenberg then took control of the court, scoring a total of seven points and grabbing the win, 62-59. The Ladies next play the College of Wooster this Saturday here in Gambier at 2 p.m.