Tennis takes two wins

By Noah Nash

Coming off a week where they won two of their three matches, the men’s varsity tennis team appears to be ready for their spring season. All three matches pitted the Lords against highly ranked collegiate competition, with Kenyon defeating Carnegie Mellon and Case Western Reserve Universities, both of which are currently ranked in the top 10 in the country.

“Getting those wins is a good start to the season, and I’m really looking forward to the rest of the season,” Michael Liu ’18 said of the weekend.

While a late rally from Washington University in St. Louis prevented the Lords from a perfect week, they nearly pulled off the upset. The team held early 3-1 and 4-3 leads before Washington rallied for two points to prevent the upset.

The Lords, currently ranked 12th in the nation, did not let the loss hang over their heads, easily dispatching Carnegie Mellon, ranked at ninth in the country, the next day by a score of 6-3. The Lords won the first two points, and extended their lead to 4-1 when Wade Heerboth ’15 defeated Carnegie Mellon’s Abhishek Alla, the 11th-ranked player in the country, in the number-one singles match.

After the win over Carnegie Mellon, the Lords went on to play Case Western in a match that lasted just over six hours and ended past 3 a.m. Despite falling to an early 4-1 deficit against Case Western, the Lords rallied to their second-straight victory, 5-4. Davis Thrailkill ’15 finished off the rally by defeating Case Western’s Kevin Dong in three sets to earn the Lords their fifth and final point. The victory was the Lords’ third win in their last four matches.

The wins this past weekend could provide the Lords with momentum for their next match. The team will travel to California to take on Concordia University on March 6. “As long as we stay healthy and bring the same fight and toughness to every match, I think we’ll just get even better over the course of the season,” Liu said.