Men’s tennis wins shutout match, while Ladies falter 3-6

By Rebecca Dann

The women’s tennis team faced off against the University of Northwestern Ohio this past Sunday in Gambier and lost 3-6. The Ladies managed to win one out of the three doubles matches, as Diana Aboubakare ’18 and Samantha Murphy ’16 won their match 8-6. The two other doubles pairs were unable to gain momentum against their opponents, as Abby Younger ’15 and Alyssa Moreau ’18 lost 8-6 and Grace Winslow ’18 and Jenna Murray ’17 lost 8-5. In the singles competition, Kenyon won two of six sets, allowing Northwestern Ohio to grab the remaining four. Aboubakare won an impressive two straight sets against her opponent, winning the first set 6-3 and the second set 6-0. Winslow won the Ladies’ second match of the game in a long, hard-fought three sets. Northwestern Ohio grabbed the first set 7-6, but Winslow came back strong and won the second set 6-4. Winslow further proved her resilience and endurance during the third set, winning 10-8.

“The season is looking really good, we lost our first two matches but I think we played pretty tough teams,” Younger said. The team is just beginning to gear up for their season. “The team dynamic is looking really great,” Younger said. “I’m really excited about the team. We have three really great freshmen who contribute a lot to the team on and off the court, and not to mention all the returners who also just are great. I think that we’re a close team. We enjoy being together we enjoy working hard at practice and I think that it’s going to be a really successful season.”

Kenyon will play on their home court next, facing Ohio Wesleyan University (OWU) next Wednesday at 4:30 p.m. “We’ll go out and just stay focused and fight hard for each match and hopefully come out with a win,” Younger said.

The 12th-ranked men’s tennis team went up against OWU this past Saturday in Gambier and came out with a triumphant win of 9-0. In the singles competition all of the Lords competing managed to beat their OWU opponents in just two sets, and no OWU player was able to win more than even one game in one set. Wade Heerboth ’15 and Michael Liu ’18 both played shutout matches, winning a total of 12 consecutive games. The Lords were also successful in the doubles competition. OWU looked to be close to gaining speed on the doubles pair Robert Turlington ’16 and Peter Hazlett ’18, but the pair quickly retaliated and won the match 8-6. The Lords next travel to St. Peter, Minn to play fifth-ranked Washington University in St. Louis in this coming Friday.