Close game against Ohio Wesleyan ends in a Ladies loss

Emily Stegner, Collegian

By Rebecca Dann

The women’s basketball team has been coming out on the losing side of a number of recent close games. The Ladies basketball played fellow North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) team Ohio Wesleyan University (OWU) in Delaware, Ohio this past Saturday, losing by four points with a final score of 75-71. This marks the Ladies’s third consecutive conference game loss, the second of which also came down to just a few points. “In the end we definitely fought hard,” Bailey Dominguez ’17 said, “but we sent them to the free throw line way too much, and on the other hand, we didn’t get to the free throw line [ourselves], so I think that’s kind of what it came down to. We just had to be more aggressive.”

Kenyon had a strong start to the game, as they managed to hold the lead for the entire first half. Within the first 20 seconds of the game, Sarah Hobbs ’15 stole the ball from OWU and quickly brought it down the court for a layup. Hobbs was unable to make the shot but Dominguez was there to quickly regain the ball and managed to score the first points of the game, bringing Kenyon into the leading position. Fifteen minutes into the first half, the Ladies had a 13-point lead over OWU with a score of 35-22. But, in the remaining five minutes of the first half, OWU gained some momentum, putting up a total of 11 points while Kenyon only managed to make two, bringing the half-time score to 37-33.

The Ladies continued to dominate the court for the first five minutes of the second half, but OWU soon caught up and tied the score 43-43. Seconds later, Dominguez managed to score to bring the Ladies back into the lead at 45-43. OWU quickly retaliated, making a three-pointer to bring them into the lead for the first time all game. After this point, OWU and Kenyon fought to gain the upper hand over their opponents, but by nine minutes into the second half, OWU had asserted themselves on the court, grabbing the lead. OWU maintained this lead for the remainder of game, and with the Ladies unable to catch their opponent, OWU claimed the win.

“It was a great game,” Head Coach Suzanne Helfant said. “I think we had plenty of opportunities to win the game. We played one of the best offensive games we’ve played all year. Unfortunately, in the end, we couldn’t get enough defensive stops to actually come out on top.”

Even though the Ladies were unable to snag the win, they still had a strong offensive game. Dominguez scored a career high of an impressive 22 points. Lauren Kriete ’15 contributed 13 points, while Avery Anderson ’15 followed close behind with 12 points.

Kenyon then played Denison University, who they managed to beat earlier in the season 61-52. “It’s going to be a very similar game to the Ohio Wesleyan game — very up tempo, very fast paced,” Helfant said before the game. “We have to play much better defense, we have to do a better job at not allowing people to get into the paint and score high percentage shots. So, defensively, I think we need to shore things up and if we can do that, I think we have another great opportunity to knock them off.” However, The Ladies were unable to sweep the Big Red, and lost 43-39.