Women’s basketball starts the semester off with two wins

By Rebecca Dann

The Kenyon women’s basketball team has had a successful start to the semester this week, breaking their losing streak of six games with two solid wins against fellow North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) teams, Denison University and the College of Wooster. These two wins improved their NCAC record from 1-4 to 3-4, and their overall record to 5-10.

The Ladies appeared to have faced tough competition over winter break, even when they played their opponents on their home court. The team began the new year with a game against Ohio Wesleyan University (OWU), on Jan. 3, losing 43-51. However, they began the game strong and quickly took the lead with a score of 16-4, but after about 10 minutes of play, OWU grabbed control of the court, up 28-21 by halftime. Kenyon was unable to catch up and regain their lead, letting OWU claim the win.

Later in the week on Jan. 7, the Ladies took on a second loss to Oberlin College with a score of 40-56. Oberlin dominated the court as they led Kenyon 37-16 by halftime. The Ladies put in a good effort during the second half, outscoring the competition by five points, but it wasn’t enough to tie up the game. Kenyon then took on number 12-ranked DePauw University, which remains undefeated within the NCAC. The DePauw Tigers won 72-39.

After three tough losses, the Ladies were due for a win. The team won their first game back from winter break on their home court, beating Denison 61-52. The game was close throughout most of the first half, but with about three minutes left in the game, Kenyon gained control with an impressive 10-point lead. Kenyon held this advantage for the rest of the game, allowing the Ladies to grab the win. Bailey Dominguez ’17 led the team with a total of 16 points and Avery Anderson ’15 followed close behind with a total of 11 points, while both Sidney Cera ’17 and Lauren Kriete ’15 contributed a total of nine points.

The team next travelled to the College of Wooster last Saturday and won 65-52. Dominguez had another impressive game, contributing a total of 10 points. Newcomer Griffin Tullis ’18 stepped up her game and lead the team with a total of 11 points. The Fighting Scots only got ahead of the Ladies once during the game after just the first three minutes of play, but Kenyon quickly tied the score a minute later, taking the lead with a three-pointer made by Miranda Diesz ’17. Kriete and Sarah Hobbs ’15 also added to the win, contributing seven points each.

Last night, the Ladies continued conference play as they took on another school of Tigers, Wittenberg University at home in the Tomsich Arena. Unfortunately, the Ladies lost to the Tigers 49-39.