Men’s soccer falls to the Battling Bishops

By Oliver DeBarros

The Kenyon men’s soccer team’s record-breaking season came to an end at the hands of Ohio Wesleyan University on Sunday, Nov. 22.

After the game was postponed because of troublesome field conditions, the Lords and the Battling Bishops faced off for the third time this season; the Lords had emerged victorious in their previous matchup in the North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) championship.

The game was controlled by Ohio Wesleyan throughout much of the first half. After 24 minutes had passed, the Lords found themselves down a goal when Brian Schaffer converted a penalty kick after NCAC Offensive Player of the Year Colton Bloecher was fouled in the box.

In the 43rd minute, the Bishops added to their lead. Gunnar Bloecher was played through on goal and found himself in a one-on-one with goalie Sam Clougher ’17. Bloecher was able to capitalize on the chance and send the Bishops into halftime with a 2-0 lead following a strong performance that saw them out-shoot the Lords 12-2.

As the second half began, the Lords were able to create some more chances and look a bit more dangerous on the attack. It would not be enough, however, as Kenyon could not find a way to beat Ohio Wesleyan keeper Colin Beemiller.

“It definitely wasn’t the end that we were hoping for,” said defender Cameron Scott ’15. “It’s hard to swallow, but I think that all of the guys are still proud of what we accomplished this season.”

The Lords’ season ended at 18-2-2. The 18 victories are the most that the program has had in a season since Head Coach Chris Brown has overseen the team. Over the course of the season, the Lords also found themselves in the record books as their 16 shutouts were the most in school history. Clougher also tied the conference record for shutouts in a season with 15. All this was en route to capturing the school’s first NCAC Tournament Title after defeating Ohio Wesleyan 2-1 in overtime.