Swimming & diving loses one on road, wins one at home

Emily Stegner

By Julia Josowitz

Lords and Ladies swimming and diving began their busy weekend with a meet against The Ohio State University.

Despite an overall loss, the team still had quite a few upperclassmen rise to the occasion and take second-place spots against this National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division I team. Mariah Williamson ’16, a distance swimmer, claimed second place in both the 1,000-yard freestyle and the 500-yard freestyle, with times of 10:17.23 and 5:00.32 respectively. Another junior, Katie Kaestner, took second place in the 100-yard breaststroke with a time of 1:04.73. Hannah Cooper ’15 claimed second in the 100-yard butterfly with a time of 58.87. Ellie Crawford ’17, who completed the 200-yard individual medley in 2:12.83, won another runner-up spot. The women’s diving team snagged first in both the one-meter and three-meter boards, thanks to Maria Zarka ’16.

The Lords swimming and diving team claimed quite a few wins in the individual events and the relays. Christian Josephson ’16 won the 100-yard butterfly in 51.65. The Lords then won the 200-yard individual medley, with Trevor Manz ’17 finishing in a time of 1:55.41. In a thrillingly close race, the Lords claimed first in the 400-yard freestyle relay in 3:07.12. The relay team consisted of Joey Duronio ’16, Percy Gates ’16, Wes Manz ’15 and Austin Pu ’17. The Lords diving team was also able to claim a few first-place spots, with Derek Hoare ’17 snagging the one-meter and three-meter diving crowns.

Despite the loss at Ohio State, the Lords and Ladies rallied for their meet against Ohio Northern University on Saturday morning. The Ladies claimed first place in all 13 events, crushing Ohio Northern 183 to 43. Their victory streak with the 200-yard medley relay, won by Sally Huizinga ’18, Amelia Loydpierson ’17, Natalie Parker ’16 and Alexa Korsberg ’17 in 1:49.37. Kaestner swam different events than she had the day before at Ohio State, but brought the same determination and won even more points for the Ladies. She competed in the freestyle events rather than her usual breaststroke, winning both the 50-yard freestyle (24.35) and the 100-yard freestyle (52.98). She then helped the Ladies win the 200-yard freestyle relay, along with Jenner McLeod ’17, Megan Morris ’16 and Cecina Babich Morrow ’18. First year Julie Dierker ’18 took first in both the 1,000-yard freestyle (10:41.38) and the 500-yard freestyle (5:12.55). Another first year, Kanchi Desai ’18, claimed first in the 400-yard individual medley (4:31.67). Zarka once again stole first place in her diving events, while on the men’s team, Hoare also won first. The Lords won 10 of their 11 swimming events on Saturday, claiming a 191-43 victory.

“What we are doing now is preparing for the end. What we do now does not predict the end,”  Head Coach Jess Book ’01 said. “However, if this past weekend is any foreshadowing for the rest of the season, the Lords and Ladies are looking forward to a great, competitive season.”