Men’s soccer advances to NCAC final

Men’s soccer advances to NCAC final

Drew Meeker

By Oliver DeBarros

The Lords soccer team got their payback this past Tuesday against Wabash College, defeating the Little Giants 3-0 to advance to the final of the North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) championship.

The Lords set out to prove a point against the one team that had beaten them this year; on October 18, they lost to Wabash 1-0 in Crawfordsville, Ind.

“When we saw the matchup, I think we were all excited,” Cameron Scott ’15 said. “We didn’t play our best in the first game, so we were all pumped that we got another shot at them.”

It would not take long for the Lords to send a message. Just six minutes into the contest, Kenyon found themselves on the board. Senior Rei Mitsuyama ’15 sent in a cross off a free kick that was deflected off a defender and into the goal.

A little over a minute later, the Lords netted their second goal. The ball bounced around the edge of the 18-yard box before Jordan Glassman ’17 was able to lay it off for Tony Amolo ’17. Amolo took one touch before ripping a left-footed finish past Wabash keeper Dayton Jennings.

The Lords comfortably saw out the rest of the half with their 2-0, also tallying an 8-2 advantage on the shot count.

As play resumed, the Lords wasted little time before adding to their lead. Just five minutes into the half, Jeremiah Barnes ’16 sent in a ball from the right side of the field. Amolo got on the end of it and was able to lift it past the keeper for his second goal of the day, and his 14th of the season.

“It felt pretty good to get those two goals,” Amolo said. “Jordan and Jeremiah set me up really well, and from there, I just had to beat the keeper. Now we’re just focused on Saturday.”

The Lords’ 3-0 win was also their 13th shutout of the season, breaking the previous season record of 12 from 1994. The shutout was a well-deserved mark for the Lords’ backline and keeper Sam Clougher ’17, who have been solid all season.

“I really don’t do too much; I kind of just watch,” Clougher said when asked about the record. “It’s really all about the [defenders] in front of me, who have been sensational all season.”

The Lords will play for the NCAC title for the second year in a row this Saturday against Ohio Wesleyan University. The game will be held in Delaware, Ohio.