Lords and Ladies swimming dominates at Denison

By Rebecca Dann

The Lords and Ladies of swimming and diving dominated this past weekend against Denison University, winning 170-130 and 166-128, respectively. This also marks the second win of the season for both Kenyon squads.

“[Denison] is one of our strongest competitors and is someone that we swim five times a year,” Head Coach Jess Book ’01 said. “We’ll see them at the championship meet as well. Certainly, there is a heightened awareness in a meet like that, but the important thing for us is still and always to just compete.”

The meet began with a triumphant 200-yard medley relay for the Ladies consisting of Celia Oberholzer ’15, Hannah Cooper ’15, Katie Kaestner ’16 and Jenner McLeod ’17, who together swam a time of 1:44.81. Kenyon’s success continued at the meet continued as Mariah Williamson ’16 claimed first place in three different events: the 1,000 freestyle (10:15.57), the 200 freestyle (1:55.52) and the 500 freestyle (5:00.77). 

Oberholzer also helped Kenyon’s victory by coming in first in both the 100 backstroke with a time of 57:22 and the 200 backstroke with a time of 2:07.38. Kanchi Desai ’18 also claimed a first-place title in the 200 individual medley (IM) with a time of 2:10.68. The Ladies asserted themselves in diving, as Maria Zarka ’16 claimed the one- and three-meter diving events.

The Lords also displayed an impressive set of times and, like the Ladies, they won the first race of the meet, with a 200 medley relay team comprised of Trevor Manz ’17, Harrison Curley ’15, Kevin Magee ’15 and Austin Pu ’17 (1:32.77). Manz and Curley both won several individual events — Manz in the 100 breaststroke (57.17), 200 IM (1:52.36) and the 200 breaststroke (2:04.60), and Curley in both backstroke events (51.51 and 1:51.54).

“I thought we prepared honestly and we were fully engaged in the meet,” Book said. “I thought we engaged each race as if it was the only one that mattered.”

The Lords and Ladies will next compete in the three-day Ohio State University Invitational over the weekend.

“It will be a different environment again,” Book said. “It will be Ohio State, Wisconsin, Kentucky and Purdue in it, so very fine competitors. But we’ll still go in with the same mantra and same mission — compete, compete, compete — so that will be fun.”