Women’s soccer wins senior game for fifth NCAC win

Emily Stegner

By Ryan Muthiora

It was Senior Day on Saturday, Oct. 25 at Mavec Field, and the Ladies soccer team entered their match against Hiram College. The Ladies continued their strong play, winning by a score of 2-1 against the Hiram Terriers.

Despite getting off to a slow start, the Ladies’ defense dominated possession for the majority of the game. It took Co-Captain Becca Romaine ’15 only 14 minutes to score the first goal for the Ladies, as she received a pass from Co-Captain Maggie Smith ’17 in the 18-yard box and calmly placed the ball past Hiram’s goalkeeper to give the Ladies an early lead.

Only five minutes later, Co-Captain Marie Laube ’16 got the crowd out of their seats when she hit a free kick from over 30 yards just over the goal, hitting the top netting. However, the Ladies barely missed a number of goal opportunities. Campbell Fee ’18 headed one into the net off of a corner kick, only to be waved off by the referee due to a foul by a Kenyon attacker in the box.

The Ladies finished the first half with 13 shots to only one from Hiram. In a tense moment 14 minutes into the second half, a shot from Hiram hit the post and ricocheted back into play, but Kenyon’s defense handled it. Smith added another goal after a beautiful combination of quick passes with Romaine around the right corner of the box. Smith dribbled past a Hiram defender and then past the goalie for an easy finish, securing the Ladies a more comfortable lead as the clock expired.

Hiram did get on the board late in the game with a deflection off of a corner kick, but had no more decent looks at goal for the remaining four minutes. The Ladies’ defense and midfield did an amazing job all game of controlling possession of the game and dismantling Hiram’s attacking shape, which opened up room wide for the Ladies to build strong control in the offensive third.

Head Coach Kelly Bryan said after the game that the team has been working on keeping the ball in their possession instead of simply clearing it up the field at the first given opportunity, which helped them tremendously in this matchup against a less skilled, but perhaps more physical, Hiram team.

All six Kenyon seniors made their last regular season home game count. Aisha Simon ’15 had a strong outing on the right side of the defense, not allowing anything by her. Maddy Jacobs ’15 was also strong in the center of the Ladies defense, not only winning on, but controlling, multiple crucial 50/50 balls that came her way. Sarabeth Domal ’15, Katie Hoener ’15 and Anna Walley ’15 were in firm control of the midfield, and made big plays all over the field. Romaine provided a vicious attacking threat by putting up numerous shots to keep the Hiram defense and goalkeeper busy all afternoon, and was involved in both Ladies goals, helping send her fellow seniors out on a high note.

“We’re really hoping our senior game won’t be our last home game,” Walley said. “We tried to just play like we have been playing all season.”

Smith said she relishes the chance to celebrate the accomplishments of this year’s senior class.

“Every senior brings something different to the team,” Smith wrote in an email to the Collegian. “As a class, they are amazing leaders and I have loved playing below them.”

On Tuesday night, the Ladies emerged victorious against Ohio Wesleyan University in a 3-1 game, with two goals from Smith and one from Romaine.

The Ladies play Oberlin College on their turf this Saturday.

“Staying composed, and not getting caught up in the emotionality of it, is going to be really important for us on Saturday,” Laube said.