Women’s soccer prevails over conference rival in tight game

Rebecca Dann

The Kenyon women’s soccer team maintained their perfect North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) record as they claimed their third consecutive NCAC victory this past weekend against The College of Wooster on Mavec Field. The game proved high-scoring, with control of the match flip-flopping between the two competitors.

The Ladies began strong as Maggie Smith ’17 scored Kenyon’s first goal assisted by Sarabeth Domal ’15 within the first five minutes of the game. Kenyon maintained its lead for the next 25 minutes, at which point Wooster was able to score against Kenyon goalkeeper Alissa Poolpol ’16. The remainder of the game would be an intense back and forth between the two teams.

“It was a really back and forth game and it was really physical – the whole match – so that was a challenge for us, but we were able to match their physicality well,” Marie Laube ’16 said.

Kenyon regained the lead just eight minutes later with a goal by Becca Romaine ’15, assisted by Smith, to bring the score to 2-1. Wooster again managed to catch up to the Ladies with another goal in the second half. Again, this tie did not last long, as three minutes later Romaine scored her second goal of the game, bringing Kenyon back into the lead by a score of 3-2. Wooster put up a fight and evened the score quickly with a penalty kick goal. With only 20 minutes left in the game, Wooster and Kenyon fought to secure the win.

“It was a really hard-fought game and we just had to keep fighting until the end,” Laube said. Kenyon was able to outplay Wooster and scored the winning goal with seven minutes remaining on the clock. Laube’s final goal gave Kenyon the win with a final score of 4-3. Wooster attempted to keep the scoring pattern going and retaliated with a shot but it went wide.

“It was just a testament to our girls being able to keep fighting,” Head Coach Kelly Bryan said. “Every time we scored, they came and tied it up, except for the last one. To ride that roller coaster of ups and downs is really important this late in the season and just shows us that we can come back from things and keep battling.”

The team next faced Denison University this past Tuesday and was prepared for another tough competitor away from their home turf. “Its always tough to play on someone else’s field, so we know we’re going to have to not let them have anything easy early on and try to establish a tempo,” Bryan said before the game.

The Ladies did just that and won 1-0, upping their conference record to 4-0. Romaine scored the team’s winning goal 20 minutes into the second half. Kenyon played tough defense, with Poolpol saving a total of six shots on goal.

The women’s soccer team will take this weekend off but then continue conference play next Wednesday at Wittenberg University.