Volleyball turns tide with wins

Alex Pijanowski

The fortunes of Ladies volleyball may finally be looking up, as this past weekend the team reversed a string of 12 straight losses.

Competing at the Rowan Invitational, hosted by Rowan University in Glassboro, N.J., the team amassed three wins before dropping its final match against Hunter College, of the City University of New York.

“It was a really exciting weekend,” Head Coach Amanda Krampf wrote in an email to the Collegian. “Everything came together and we were able to find success against some challenging opponents.”

Over two days, the Ladies totaled 148 kills to their opponents’ 130. Outside hitter Tierney McClure ’18 was responsible for 44 of those kills. Katie Goulder ’16 and Lauren Kerr ’18 also contributed more than 20 kills apiece.

McClure received the NCAC Player of the Week trophy, marking the first time she has won such honors in her college career. This recognition was especially rewarding, given the team’s recent struggles.

“I’ve been a little off the past few weeks,” McClure said. “This weekend, it finally all just clicked.”

Two of the team’s wins did not come easily, as Penn State Abington played the Ladies to four sets, and the team’s match against Rowan was decided in five sets. According to Krampf, the team’s victory in this match was largely a result of the Ladies’ persistence.

“I think we showed how much fight our team has during our match against Rowan, where we were able to come back from an 11-point deficit in the fifth set,” she wrote in an email.

Thankfully for the Ladies, Centenary College went down quietly in three sets. Kenyon outscored Centenary 75-33 through those sets.

Although the team was swept by Hunter in its final match, each one of those games was narrow. The final score of the first and third was 25-22, with the second ending in a 25-23 score.

The team will now prepare for a slew of NCAC matchups, as its next five games are against conference opponents.

“We know they’re going to be tough games, but we’ll definitely be able to put up a fight,” McClure said. “We’re still working hard, and not taking anyone lightly.”