Spirits high as Lords win another two games in one week

Courtesy of Jack Vallis

By Oliver DeBarros

Lords soccer maintained their perfect record as they claimed victories over Allegheny College and  The College of Wooster to move to 11-0 on the season, while taking celebratory selfies to capture it all.

The Lords looked to build upon their opening conference win when they took on Allegheny at home two weekends ago. As usual, the Lords got off to a quick start, putting the Gators under pressure immediately.

Kenyon controlled most of the play in the opening half, outshooting their opponent 11 to 1, yet they would be unable to break the deadlock before halftime.

As play resumed in the second half, it was much of the same. The Lords continued to generate several chances, but were unable to find the back of the net with them.

It wasn’t until the 70th minute that the Lords opened the score sheet. After being awarded a corner kick, Co-Captain Jeremiah Barnes ’16 was able to find Josh Lee ’17 at the edge of the box. Lee took one touch inside and then bent his effort past Allegheny keeper Jake Pugliese before running over to celebrate the moment by taking a selfie with some fans.

Lee shared his thoughts on the moment. “Jordan made a great run that drew my guy away and Jeremiah found me for an open shot,” he said. “It was awesome to see it go in because we were dominating for the first 70 minutes but had nothing to show for it. We kept grinding, though, and finally got one. Getting to celebrate with the fans and get that dream game selfie made it that much better.”

After taking the lead, the Lords comfortably closed out the game with yet another shutout.

In their next conference game this past weekend, the Lords took on the Fighting Scots of Wooster. Again the Lords began by putting immediate pressure on their opponents.

This time, it only took 11 minutes for the Lords to find the back of the net. Cameron Scott ’15 carried the ball into the attacking half and picked Barnes out with space in the box. Barnes cut inside and then fired past Wooster keeper Daniel Quinn.

Following the goal, however, the Lords struggled to maintain control of the game. While they didn’t look threatened, they weren’t quite able to impose their game on the Scots for the rest of the opening half.

“We played well up to first goal and then lost our way a bit,” Head Coach Chris Brown said. “We didn’t move the ball quickly enough and our turnover control was poor.”

“I had a word with the lads at halftime and, although we weren’t great in the second half, I thought in general we managed our turnovers better in the second period,” Brown said. “Good teams grind out wins even when they’re not at their best.”

Barnes would add to his goal tally with a great individual effort in the 84th minute. After collecting the ball in midfield with a perfectly timed slide tackle, Barnes fired a shot from distance past the keeper to put the Lords up 2-0.

“I found myself in plenty of space, looked up and realized I had some time,” Barnes said. “Thought I would take a shot, and really caught it well.”

The Lords extended their unbeaten record yesterday as they beat Denison University 1-0 in double overtime on a goal from Nate Petrou ’15. The team next  takes on Wabash College on Saturday in Crawfordsville, Ind.