Men’s soccer: best this century

By Oliver DeBarros

The Kenyon men’s soccer team maintained their perfect record last weekend as they opened conference play with a 1-0 win over DePauw University. The Lords now move to 9-0 as they match their best opening record since 1992.

Once again, the Lords jumped off to an impressive start as they dominated possession early. They immediately put the Tigers on their heels with several early chances and forced them to concede several early corners. Kenyon maintained a clear advantage throughout the first half, outshooting their opponents 9-3 in the period.

The Lords capitalized on their pressure late in the first half when Woo Jeon ’18 tested DePauw’s keeper Jake Pezzuto with a shot from outside the 18-yard box. Pezzuto was unable to handle the shot and Henry Myers ’18 netted his first collegiate goal on the rebound. Myers’ strike proved to be the game winner that would preserve the Lords’ unbeaten record.

“It was great to be able to contribute [to the win], and even better that the guys could hold on in the second half,” Myers said.

In the second half, the Tigers offered a bit more resistance. The Lords were tested a couple times and suffered several scares in which it looked like they might concede a goal.

In the 85th minute, DePauw appeared to have equalized when senior back Brandon Johnson headed in a cross over Kenyon goalkeeper Sam Clougher ’17. His shirtless celebration was cut short, however, when the linesman flagged him in an offsides position.

Cameron Scott ’15 weighed in on the close call: “Moving their sweeper up top caught us a bit off-guard,” he said. “In the end ,we think the ref made the right call.”

Shortly thereafter, the Lords nearly added to their lead just seconds after the goal was called back when Jordan Glassman ’17 rocketed a shot off the crossbar off a Tony Amolo ’17 pass.

In the end, the Lords held off the Tigers and secured the victory against a difficult opponent.

With a perfect record, the Lords know they’re a team everyone is trying to beat.

Head Coach Chris Brown shared his thoughts on their high national ranking and lofty status. “We have a big target on our backs, but I think that the lads are pretty grounded and know that the only ranking that matters is the one at the end of the season,” Brown said.

The Lords hope to move to 10-0 this weekend when they take on Allegheny College on Saturday at 3 p.m. on Kenyon’s Mavec Field.