Men’s soccer back on top with 4-0 win against Hiram

By Oliver DeBarros

The Kenyon men’s soccer team celebrated Senior Day and got back to their winning ways with a convincing 4-0 win over Hiram College this past Saturday.

The Lords got off to a slow start as they struggled to develop an offensive rhythm in the opening half of the game, recording only one shot on goal. As the second half began, the Lords started creating more chances and increasing the pressure on their opponents.

The breakthrough finally came in the 66th minute, when Kenyon was awarded a corner after a great team move ended with Rei Mitsuyama’s ’15 shot being deflected off the crossbar.

Mitsuyama then sent in the corner, which found Tony Amolo’s ’17 head at the near post for the Lords’ first goal of the game.

It did not take much longer for the Lords to add to their lead. Just over a minute after Amolo opened the scoresheet, Jordan Glassman ’17 found himself in space about 20 yards out. Glassman curled his effort into the bottom corner for his first goal of the game.

Glassman’s second goal came off another Lords corner kick. Senior Nate Petrou ’15 sent in a ball to the back post that senior Co-Captain Grant Carney ’15 headed across the goal. Carney’s header across found an open Glassman, who headed the ball in to complete his brace.

“I think everyone was pretty relieved to see us get back to scoring goals,” Glassman said of the game. “We’ve had a hard time finding the back of the net in the past couple games, so it felt great winning by a convincing margin.”

The Lords scored their fourth and final goal in the 77th minute, when Carney sent in a ball to the back post from the left side of the field. Henry Myers ’18 was able to get on the end of the ball across with a sliding effort.

“We really needed this result as we get ready for the conference tournament,” Carney said. “There are just two more games left in the regular season, so we’re hoping that we can gain some momentum now.”

The Lords traveled  to Wittenberg University last night and added to their conference wins as they  played a shutout game with a final score of 5-0.

The team travels to Oberlin College this Saturday for their last regular season game, where they hope to further solidfy their place in the conference and national standings.