Section: Football

Lords are kept out of end zone in NCAC road match-up

The DePauw University Tigers defeated the Lords 24-0 in a shutout game on Saturday.

By Noah Gurzenski

DePauw University (2-1, 1-1 NCAC) shut out Lords football (0-4, 0-3 NCAC) 24-0 this past Saturday, extending Kenyon’s losing streak, which dates back to Oct. 19 of last year, to eight games.

The Kenyon squad, boasting only six returning starters among 22 starters on both sides of the ball, was prone to mental errors throughout the game. Kenyon continually faltered when it came to finishing off drives as well, both in terms of the offense failing to put points on the board and the defense struggling to force DePauw’s offense off the field on third down.

While Kenyon was able to move the ball into Tiger territory on their first drive of the game, DePauw took over on downs at their own 42-yard line when a Kenyon pass fell incomplete on fourth down. DePauw made the Lords pay on the following drive, taking a 7-0 lead over the Lords after a two-yard touchdown run.

The Lords looked poised to get on the scoreboard on their next drive with the ball on the DePauw 30-yard line, but a miscommunication between Co-Captain Jake Bates ’16 and his offensive line led to a fumbled snap, which DePauw recovered for possession.

“Every time we had the ball in positive territory, we did something to shoot ourselves in the foot,” Head Coach Chris Monfiletto said. “Those are all easily correctable things, but that was frustrating.”

With less than 90 seconds remaining in the first half, DePauw’s passing game came alive and the Tigers drove all the way down into the red zone. When it looked like Kenyon’s defense was going to be able to hold for a field goal on third down and nine, DePauw came through with a 13-yard catch to move the chains. DePauw capped off the 10-play, 55-yard drive with a six-yard touchdown pass one play later to make the score 14-0 with four seconds remaining in the half.

Down 21-0 with a chance to get on the board after another DePauw touchdown, Kenyon fumbled away the ball on the DePauw 11-yard line, one of the Lords’ three turnovers on the game.

“Realistically, the offense produced, yardage-wise,” Max Baughman ’17 said. “They just had some trouble getting points. The defense was also the field the whole game, just because we weren’t stopping them. I think it was those two factors combined.”

After Kenyon’s defense forced DePauw to punt on the next series, the Lords gave up the ball once, when Bates threw an interception. DePauw kicked a field goal on the following drive to make the score 24-0, which would hold for the rest of the game.

Lords football has this weekend off and hopes to earn its first win of the season next weekend at Hiram College in Hiram, Ohio.