Ladies fall to Denison, overcome Oberlin

Shannon Hart ’18 scored on Saturday.

By Rebecca Dann

Denison University ended the Ladies field hockey team’s five-game winning streak this past Saturday on McBride Field, beating Kenyon 3-1. The game also marked Kenyon’s first North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) loss this season. The Ladies began the game strong and scored after 20 minutes of play, as Shannon Hart ’18 managed to slip a goal past Denison’s goalkeeper, but Denison soon retaliated. Near the start of the second half, Denison scored three consecutive goals, all within a 10-minute span.

“We held our own against Denison in the first half, being up 1-0,” Sam Johnston ’15 said. “I think we just thought we could cruise through the second half. Denison just came out on fire and capitalized on the few opportunities we gave them.”

Kenyon was unable to catch up to their opponents, although they managed a total of 17 shots. Maddie Breschi ’16 led the team with seven.

“Denison played really well and we didn’t necessarily execute the same way that we had been,” Head Coach Jacque DeMarco said. “I attribute it to just a little bit of youth with it, but I think we’re going to get right back at them, and we’re learning from it so it’s been a good learning moment.”

The following day, the Ladies redeemed themselves, grabbing their eighth win of the season in a shutout of conference foe Oberlin College. Johnston scored Kenyon’s first goal within the first 12 minutes of the game. Breschi soon followed suit and scored the team’s second goal. Kenyon’s third goal came just two minutes later, scored by Rachel Hall ’15 and assisted by Cecilia Depman ’15.

The Ladies scored another two goals during the second half for a final score of 5-0. Hart scored within the first two minutes of the half, assisted by Katelyn Hutchinson ’18. Julie Freedman ’15 scored Kenyon’s fifth goal just one minute later.  

“Having every player get playing time during that game was key to proving that as an entire unit, we can play solid Kenyon field hockey against any opponent,” Johnston said.

“I think that they took the loss pretty hard and they wanted to get back after it and we had a huge shot advantage against Oberlin,” DeMarco said. Kenyon made an astounding 49 shots against Oberlin, who paled in comparison with only eight shots the entire game. “The Oberlin goalie did extremely well,” DeMarco said. “I think it was her best performance of her career, so she really did work really hard against us and it was nice to see that kind of competition in the league.”

The Ladies have another set of NCAC games coming up. The Ladies face the College of Wooster tomorrow and Ohio Wesleyan University this coming Saturday.