Section: Football

Football bested by ranked opponent

Football bested by ranked opponent

Emily Stegner

By Noah Gurzenski

Nationally 10th-ranked Wabash College (6-0, 5-0 NCAC) dealt Kenyon (0-6, 0-5) their fifth loss of the season, topping the Lords 52-10.

Before the game, Robert Harward, a retired U.S. Navy Seal and motivational speaker, addressed the team. ABC News reporter Martha Raddatz, who will speak at 2015 Commencement and whose son is Lords receiver Jake Genachowski ’15,  helped to arrange Harward’s visit to campus.

Harward said he hoped to “provoke something that’s going to help the team or help them, as young people, focus their energy better, not just in football, but in life.” He also suggested that his military experience is applicable when speaking to an athletic team.

“I just didn’t want to fail my teammates,” Harward said.    

Wabash’s typically run-heavy offense wreaked havoc on the Kenyon defense through the air as well as on the ground, amassing 283 passing yards and 142 rushing yards. Struggling to find success against the hulking Wabash defense, the Lords were held to less than 200 yards of total offense.

After their first possession ended in a punt, Wabash’s offense went on a tear, scoring on their next three drives to take a 21-0 lead before the end of the first quarter.

Kenyon’s offense faltered in the meantime, unable to crack the Wabash defense.

“We have got to be better on first down,” Head Coach Chris Monfiletto said. “If we can be better on first down, then we can continue to move the football up and down the field.”

Following a Marquis Johnson ’16 fumble recovery at midfield in the second quarter, Szabi Simo ’17 capped off a 42-yard drive with a 24-yard field goal. While perfect in the red zone, the Lords only managed two trips to within the Wabash 20-yard line.

“A lot of the stuff that we did worked, but it just didn’t work consistently,” Nick Gasbarro ’15 said. “We’d be one block away or we’d be one person away, and then we’d be one play away from really breaking it open, and that’s really been the theme of a lot of what we’ve been doing.”

After being kept out of the end zone the whole game, Kenyon’s offense scored a touchdown in the final two minutes of the fourth quarter, courtesy of a Brandon January ’15 one-yard rush, which brought the score to 52-10.

“This week of practice was one of our best weeks of practice that we’ve had yet,” Cullen said. “We knew what was coming; we saw what was coming; but what it all came down to was discipline, and we just didn’t have it [on Saturday].”

Things will not get any easier for the Lords next week when they travel to Springfield, Ohio to take on nationally 14th-ranked Wittenberg University.