First NCAC win signals a promising start

The Ladies defeated the DePauw Tigers in a 1-0 victory on Saturday at DePauw University.

By Rebecca Dann

The women’s soccer team (4-5-1 overall) began North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) play with a win against DePauw University this past Saturday. The Ladies played a shut-out game, winning 1-0 against the Tigers. Maggie Smith ’17, assisted by defender Marie Laube ’16, scored the winning goal just five minutes into the start of the game.

“We needed the win,” Head Coach Kelly Bryan said. “It’s a great way to start the conference play. [I’m] really proud of our players, especially because we had a bit of a problem getting to the game.”

The team didn’t arrive at their hotel in Indiana until 3:30 a.m. and rose early the next day to prepare for their game. “It just shows our character,” Bryan said. “We’ve got really tough young ladies who work really hard for each other. So it was more than just a win. It did a lot for us in a lot of different ways.”

Kenyon’s goalkeeper Alissa Poolpol ’16 helped keep the team in the lead, blocking DePauw’s only two shots on goal. “This was the first game that it really felt like we were playing together as one whole unit from the defense to the forwards,” Katie Hoener ’15 said.

Even with their early lead, the Ladies continued to play offensively. Kenyon managed an impressive eight shots on goal, six of which were taken by Smith, one of which was her winning goal. The Ladies’ other two shots on goal were made by Campbell Fee ’18 and Hoener.

The team knows that this is just the first of many NCAC games to come and they are preparing themselves for the challenges ahead and hope to see similar outcomes. “Our conference is really strong this year, and even teams that have finished towards the bottom the last couple of years have started off really strong,” Bryan said. “So there are going to be no easy games and we just have to know to bring that same effort and execute to keep ourselves in a good position.”

The Ladies continuesNCAC games this coming Saturday against Allegheny College on Mavec Field at 12 p.m.