Field hockey takes conference after tough win against Denison

Cora Markowitz

By Rebecca Dann

Ladies field hockey continued their North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) winning streak this past weekend as they defeated rivals Denison University on Saturday and Oberlin College on Sunday.

The Ladies knew the game against Denison would be a challenge, as the Big Red are the only NCAC team that had beaten them this season.

“It was a big deal,” Head Coach Jacque DeMarco said. “We knew going into [the Denison game] that if we beat them, even if we won on Sunday, that we would be number one and win the conference outright. So that was really exciting.” Winning the conference allows Kenyon to host the beginning of postseason conference play, giving them the advantage of playing on their own turf.

Kenyon scored the winning goal in the game’s first half and then continued to maintain defense. Maddie Breschi ’16, assisted by Rachel Hall ’15, scored the game’s only goal with just a minute left in the first half. Goalkeeper Claire O’Donnell-McCarthy ’17 saved all three of Denison’s shots on goal.

The Ladies’ success continued into Sunday as they won against Oberlin in a shutout game for a final score of 7-0. Within the first two minutes of the game, Shannon Hart ’18 scored Kenyon’s first goal, assisted by Hall. Breschi scored the second goal of the game just two minutes later. Abby Coleman ’17 scored Kenyon’s third goal, assisted by Breschi. Oberlin managed to keep Kenyon from scoring for the remainder of the first half and a good portion of the second half. During the last 10 minutes of the game, however, Kenyon scored an impressive four goals. Hall scored first, followed by Cecilia Depman ’15, who went on to score the team’s next three goals, all within five minutes of each other. Depman’s first goal was assisted by Julie Freedman ’15 and her third goal was assisted by Sam Johnston ’15.

“It was a great game for our team,” DeMarco said. “It was the best weekend back-to-back games that I think we’ve played. It was a celebration for the seniors as well, and it was nice to see all the seniors get involved in all of the scoring plays, so it was a really good team effort.”

The Ladies continue conference play this coming weekend against the College of Wooster on Saturday at 3:30 p.m. on McBride Field.