Section: Football

THIS WEEK IN KENYON COLLEGE FOOTBALL

In a devastating game on Homecoming Weekend, the Oberlin College Yeomen (1-1, 1-0 NCAC) ran past Lords football (0-2, 0-1 NCAC) 47-28. Although Kenyon outscored Oberlin 14-3 in the fourth quarter, some early mistakes ultimately proved insurmountable.

After Oberlin scored on their first possession, Kenyon drove to Oberlin’s four-yard line but lost possession by failing to convert on fourth and three. Kenyon’s defense forced a three-and-out on the following Oberlin drive, but the Yeomen recovered possession on a muffed punt that otherwise would have given the Lords the ball at midfield. Oberlin scored a touchdown five plays later to take a 14-0 lead.

This haphazard turn of events set the tone for the rest of the game. Down 21-7 in the second quarter, Kenyon read an Oberlin screen pass perfectly, only to have the Oberlin receiver break a tackle and find the end zone on third and long. After Jake Genachowski ’15 recovered an onside kick in the fourth quarter, the Lords were poised to narrow the gap, only to have Oberlin recover a fumble on the three-yard line.

Looking ahead, Genachowski, who led Kenyon wideouts (4 catches, 78 yards, 1 TD), believes that his team needs a new approach. “We can’t wait until the second half to find ourselves losing by three touchdowns and start putting it into gear,” Genachowski said. “We’ve got to come out fast and get a lead.”