Men’s soccer remains undefeated

Men’s soccer remains undefeated

By Oliver DeBarros

The Kenyon men’s soccer team continued their successful start to the season with two more wins last weekend. The Lords defeated Otterbein and Heidelberg Universities from Westerville, Ohio and Tiffin, Ohio, respectively, to take their record to 4-0 to open the season. The team’s elation grew after the National Soccer Coaches’ Association of America (NSCAA) voted the team the number-two ranking in NCAA Division-III soccer.

In their first game of the weekend, Kenyon defeated Otterbein University 3-0 in Westerville, Ohio. The Lords opened the score sheet in the 15th minute when Tony Amolo ’17 headed in a corner kick from Jeremiah Barnes ’16. Less than a minute later, Amolo found the back of the net again after collecting a long ball from Captain Grant Carney ’15.

Edgar Arceo ’17 added another first-half goal at the 30-minute mark with a stunning strike from 30 yards to seal the victory for the Lords. “It was a pretty clean strike from distance that complemented Tony’s first two pretty well and helped seal another victory for us,” Arceo said of his goal. “We’re off to a great start, but there’s still a lot of work for us to do to reach our potential this season. We believe that we’re capable of being national title contenders, so we have to keep working hard in training and get results against quality teams.”

The Lords secured a 2-1 win against Heidelberg in their second game of the weekend. Josh Lee ’17 scored his first goal of the season to put Kenyon on the board at the 22-minute mark. The Lords had several chances to add to their lead but would only capitalize in the 65th minute when Amolo scored his sixth goal of the season and extended his scoring streak to four games.

Kenyon conceded their first goal of the season when Heidelberg’s Christopher Koczak beat Kenyon goalkeeper Sam Clougher ’17 in the 76th minute of the game. Clougher was tested again two minutes later, though this time he made his fifth save of the game to preserve the team’s win.

After the game, senior defender Cameron Scott ’15 shared his thoughts: “It’s unfortunate that we let one in since we pride ourselves on being a really good defensive team,” he said. “We’re never satisfied when we get scored on, so we’ll look at the film and see what we can do better.”

Despite conceding a goal last weekend, the Lords continue to prove that they are a force to be reckoned with by outscoring their opponents 12-1 on the season. Kenyon now has seven different goal scorers and, with Amolo’s incredible form, it does not seem like the Lords will be struggling to score this season.

“We’ve had trouble scoring in past seasons,” Carney said. “Now that we have the level of offensive production that we’re getting, we’re definitely a difficult team for anyone else to face.”
The Lords look to continue their winning streak during their home opener as they take on Centre College of Danville, Ky.. this Sunday at 5 p.m. at Mavec Field.