Lords win two shutout games

By Oliver DeBarros

Lords soccer kicked off its season last weekend with two wins over Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) and La Roche College. The Lords outscored their opponents 7-0, and jumped to fourth in the national D-III rankings.

The Lords faced a difficult match-up in their season opener, taking on 18th-ranked CMU. From the beginning, Kenyon controlled most of the play and put the Tartans under heavy pressure.

After 31 minutes, the Lords opened their season tally with a stunning left-footed volley from Jeremiah Barnes ’16, assisted by Dalton Eudy ’17.

“When Dalton picked up his head, I knew the run to make since we had been working on it in training,” Barnes said of the play. “He played a great ball and I connected well.”

Only a minute later, Tony Amolo ’17 drew a foul in the box and buried the penalty kick low in the bottom left corner of the goal. 

After the break Rei Mitsuyama ’15 scored, taking the score to 3-0. 

“Beating a ranked opponent with goals from three different players showed that we have the ability to compete with any team out there,” Mitsuyama said. 

This momentum carried into the Lords’ second game. Grant Carney ’15 scored with a header in the 19th minute. Amolo scored two more goals to cap a performance which earned him NCAC Player of the Week.

Stephen Margaria ’18 contributed the weekend’s final goal. He collected the ball in the midfield and rifled a shot from distance into the corner of the goal. It was a fitting end to a positive weekend.

“The boys did well,” Head Men’s Soccer Coach Chris Brown said. “We’re not at our best yet, but [we] did more than enough to get the job done. If the boys focus on hard work and execution then they can cash in on their potential. We have good depth, and that should keep everyone on their toes.”

The Lords were convincing enough for college coaches to vote them the number-four ranking in the country. But the players ultimately give little thought to this status.

“It’s awesome that people see us as one of the top teams in the country,” Cameron Scott ’15 said. “The rankings right now won’t mean much at the end of the season, so we’re just concerned with winning the next game we play.”

The Lords carry a 2-0 record into this weekend, as they take on Otterbein University on Friday and Heidelberg University on Sunday.