Lords keep perfect record

Oliver DeBarros, Staff Writer

The Kenyon men’s soccer team moved to 8-0 with wins over Marietta College (Marietta, Ohio) and Capital University (Bexley, Ohio) this past week. The Lords cruised to a comfortable 2-0 win over Marietta on Saturday, with a goal apiece from Tony Amolo ’17 and Nate Petrou ’15 helping to seal the victory.

In the 10th minute of the contest, Jordan Glassman ’17 collected the ball in Kenyon’s defensive half and played Amolo through for a counter attack. After a 60-yard run, Amolo cut inside and beat the oncoming keeper from just outside the box.

Petrou added to the tally, notching his first goal of the season off a perfect cross served in from the right sideline by Alex Christoff  ’15.

“Christoff really played in a great ball,” Petrou said. “He put it where only I had a shot at it and, fortunately, I was able to get enough on it to score.”

The Lords finished the game with a 20-2 shot advantage, another solid defensive outing for their fifth shutout of the season.

“We weren’t really tested that much, but that is also a testament to our focus throughout the game,” defender Cameron Scott ’15 said.

The Lords extended their winning streak on Tuesday when they traveled to Capital University and defeated the Crusaders 5-1.

Early in the game, the Lords found themselves in an unfamiliar situation, as Capital took the lead in the 13th minute off of a penalty kick. This was only the second time this season that the Lords trailed their opponents.

Kenyon needed 18 minutes to level the score; Glassman received a pass from Amolo in the box and beat the keeper for the equalizer. Glassman went on to score two more goals.

“I just had a good day in terms of finishing my chances,” Glassman said. “We got the result we wanted and that’s the important thing, regardless of where the goals are coming from.”

Before the game’s conclusion, Amolo and Oliver Wynn ’18 also added their names to the score-sheet. Amolo’s goal was his ninth in eight games, and Wynn’s was his first collegiate goal.

The Lords look to continue their winning ways on Saturday, as they begin NCAC play against DePauw University at 12:05 p.m. at Mavec Field.