Lords soccer indomitable at home

Lords soccer indomitable at home

The second-ranked Kenyon men’s soccer team extended their record to 5-0 last weekend with a 3-0 win over Centre College of Danville, Ky. in their home opener at Mavec Field.

The Lords got off to a good start, putting the Colonels on their heels with several shots and chances in the opening moments of the game.

“We took control of the game right away,” Co-Captain Rei Mitsuyama ’15 said, “which was good for our confidence since we ended the previous game rather poorly. It was great to finally be able to play at home. Not only do we feel like we can play better on a quality field, but we love having our fans behind us.”

Tony Amolo ’17 broke the deadlock in the 16th minute, scoring in his fifth consecutive game. Amolo now has seven goals in five games.

Despite this impressive tally, Amolo remains humble. “It’s nice to be up there, but every goal we score is a collective team effort,” he said. “I’m just doing my part finishing the chances my teammates create for me.”

Head Coach Chris Brown seemed to agree with Amolo, saying, “Our goal-scoring threat is one of our main attributes. We have several players who can score, and that helps Tony.”

The Lords increased their lead in the 20th minute when some confusion in the box led to one of Centre’s defenders heading the ball into their own goal.

Toward the end of the first half, the Colonels had a great chance to pull one goal back as their forward Connor Reed found himself in a one-on-one with Kenyon goalkeeper Sam Clougher ’17. Clougher stood tall and made the save to preserve the 2-0 lead going into the half.

“I’m not too sure how he got so open, but I was just trying to stay big and play chicken with him,” Clougher said. “I tried to make him make the mistake and, luckily, he panicked.”

After a quiet second half, the Lords scored again ten seconds before time expired. Woo Jeon ’18 headed in his first collegiate goal off a cross from Josh Lee ’17.

“It’s a big relief to finally put one in,” Jeon said. “Scoring for a team like this is a great feeling, and I hope there are more to come.”

The 3-0 result was the Lords’ fourth shutout this season and resulted from another solid defensive effort, with Clougher coming up big when needed.

“It was a good performance, especially the first 25 minutes,” Brown said. “Overall I was happy with our defending, which continues to be solid.”

Kenyon continued its winning streak yesterday, as they beat Muskingum University  (New Concord, Ohio) 5-1, marking another dominating win. The Lords look to uphold their perfect winning record when they travel to Marietta College (Marietta, Ohio) on Saturday.