Ladies soccer falters before NCAC

Julia Josowitz, Staff Writer

The Ladies soccer team is about to begin their North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) season, despite a close 2-1 loss this past Saturday against Hanover College’s Panthers in Hanover, Ind.

“Hanover is a really tough team in our region,” Head Coach Kelly Bryan said. “We had a few miscommunications in the game, but sometimes those things just happen, and we just have to learn from them.”

The Ladies were leading before half time thanks to a goal by Becca Romaine ’15. However, 71 minutes into the game, Hanover tied the score. Taylor Jamil ’17 made a shot to try to put the Ladies back in the lead, but it was saved by the Panthers’ goalkeeper Karlee VanDerWeele.

A minute later, the Panthers took the lead with a shot past the Ladies’ keeper, Alissa Poolpol ’16.

“[Hanover] was the kind of game that really helps us get ready for the conference play,” Bryan said.

Last night, the Ladies played at Otterbein University in Westerville, Ohio. In a hard-fought match that went to double overtime, they lost by a score of 2-1. The urgency increases now for the team to perfect the tactics that will help it toward the goal of reaching the top four in the conference.

“Our upperclassmen are doing a great job of leading our younger players and helping them find the ways they can contribute to the team,” Bryan said, mentioning how three first-year players on the team have scored their first collegiate goals within the past few weeks.

That camaraderie is going to be key in the next few weeks as conference play begins.

“Conferences really raise the level a little bit and at that point, especially starting this Saturday at our first conference game, we can’t still be trying to figure some things out,” Bryan said. “We need to actually be doing them.”

The Ladies are determined to head into conferences with a solid foundation of plays and teamwork, which will hopefully give them an advantage in the tournament.

“We want to keep our fate in our own hands,” Bryan said. “Right now, doing well in the conference is definitely a realistic goal for our team.”

The results of the Ladies’ efforts will be revealed at their first conference game this Saturday at DePauw University at noon.