Records broken, amidst series loss

Noah Gurzenski, staff writer

Kenyon baseball’s woes continued this past weekend as the Lords dropped three games to Hiram College. With Saturday’s win, Head Coach Matt Burdette earned his 300th win as the Lords’ skipper and Co-Captain Nate Lotze ’14 amassed nine hits over the weekend to bring him to 194 in his career, a Kenyon record.

Down 2-1 to Hiram in the third inning of game one on Saturday, Casey Rosenfeld ’17 gave Kenyon the lead with a two-run single and Sam Gillespie ’16 added a three-run home run to put Kenyon up 6-2 on Hiram.

After Hiram cut Kenyon’s lead to one in the fourth, Co-Captain Jake Dunn ’15 smacked a three-run blast, which brought the score to 9-5. Hiram continued to battle back, however, tying the game with a four-run fifth inning and notching the go-ahead run in the sixth inning to seal the 10-9 comeback win.

After three scoreless innings at the tail end of Saturday’s doubleheader, Kenyon’s bats tore into Hiram’s pitching staff for 10 runs over the fourth, fifth and sixth innings. Phillip Nam ’17, who finished the game with five RBIs, broke the scoreless tie in the fourth inning with a two-run single to give Kenyon the lead.

The Lords wouldn’t look back again, cruising to a 14-1 rout of Hiram. Tim Krahn ’15 had a strong outing for the Lords, giving up just one run and fanning six batters in the complete-game win.

“[Krahn] threw a great game and he basically shut them down,” Lotze said. “I think that allowed us to breathe a little easier and then our offense got going.”

In the front-end game of Sunday’s doubleheader, Kenyon held a 3-0 lead until the fifth inning, thanks to a Lotze solo homer and two singles from Lotze and Dunn. Hiram erased Kenyon’s lead after tagging starting pitcher Spencer Byers ’16 for four runs in the fifth.

Batting with two outs in the top of the seventh and Tyler Roldan ’17 on first, Lotze hit a game-tying double to keep the Lords’ hopes alive, but Hiram answered with a walk-off single in the bottom of the inning for a 5-4 victory.

Down 6-3 to Hiram in the seventh, Lotze singled for his 193rd career hit, surpassing the all-time hits record of Matt Marcinczyk ’06. Lotze holds four Kenyon career records for RBIs (130), hits (194), chances (955) and putouts (855). Kenyon rallied to tie the game with three runs in the ninth, but Hiram once again scored in the bottom of the inning for the walk-off victory.

The Lords will conclude their season next weekend with three games at Wittenberg University.