Ladies tennis shut out at CMU

Esteban Bachelet, Sports Assistent

“We’ve had someone either injured or sick ever since the 29th of March,” Head Coach Scott Thielke said of the Kenyon women’s tennis team’s recent recipe for mediocrity. On March 29, Kenyon beat Allegheny College in a 7-2 victory. The Ladies are 3-4 since that victory, culminating in an 8-10 overall finish for the regular season. Last Thursday, the Ladies lost to North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) rival Oberlin College, 7-2, and then to No. 8 Carnegie Mellon University, 9-0, relegating the Ladies to a number-two seed on the east side of the conference tournament bracket. With the victory, Oberlin claimed the top spot for the upcoming tournament. “Our hope is that we will be at full strength for the conference tournament; it will help us to have everyone healthy,” Thielke said. Oberlin showed it will not be an easy opponent should the Ladies face them again in the tournament. “We knew Oberlin was going to be a tough team but we didn’t do quite as well as we could have done,” said Samantha Murphy ’16, who paired up with Madison Hoffman ’16 for the Ladies’ only doubles victory. The Yeowomen snagged the other two doubles matches, taking the momentum and dominating the singles matches as well. The Ladies’ sole singles victory came from Heather Fantry ’16 (6-4, 6-1). The day finished as a 7-2 victory for Oberlin, giving them the boost needed to jump Kenyon in the standings. “It was a tough loss because it was probably one of the biggest matches of the year, one that we needed to win,” Murphy said. Following the Oberlin loss, the Ladies faced a red-hot team in the Carnegie Mellon Tartans that had won three in a row and boasted a 14-3 overall record. “It’s my philosophy to play as many tough teams as possible, so that once we get to the conference tournament, we have seen the best that we possibly could have seen,” Thielke said. Though the match was regarded as preparation for the conference tournament, the Ladies nevertheless played well. The Tartans closed out the day 9-0, but many matches were close, including Murphy’s single’s loss that finished 6-2, 6-4. Now, the Ladies hope that they can hang with the premier teams nationally. “It was very good experience to play against a team of that caliber,” Murphy said. “After playing Carnegie Mellon, the teams this weekend are not going to be quite as good.” The Ladies will kick off the NCAC tournament on Friday against Allegheny College, against whom they have played several close matches. “Allegheny is a very good team,” Thielke said. “They have played us very close the last three years. We’ve had some real good battles with them. Fortunately, in all of the battles we have come out ahead.”