Women’s lacrosse wins home opener

By Esteban Bachelet | Sports Assistant

On Sunday, the Kenyon women’s lacrosse team found a crucial ingredient sometimes elusive in sports: camaraderie.

“Our major success comes from our off-field chemistry,” said Amy Morgan ’14, who scored three goals and added two assists against Washington & Jefferson College (W&J). “More so than ever, it has really helped us. … We are all using each other to our best advantages.”

The Ladies got on the board within the first minute of the game and allowed only two shots on their way to a decisive 16-0 victory against W&J. The win moves the Ladies (5-1) up to third in the conference standings behind Oberlin (4-0) and Allegheny (8-0), with no North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) games yet played.

The one blemish on the Ladies’ record came at the tail end of Spring Break against the University of Mount Union. After losing 13-6, the Ladies came away with a sense of perspective: they refocused and came out strong against a W&J squad undergoing a transition year.

“We just wanted to play a good game, and [we] did that,” said Caroline Shipman ’15, who joined Morgan with three goals and two assists.

The Ladies hounded W&J early, carrying a 12-0 lead into halftime. Seven different Ladies contributed goals in the charge.

Meredith Bentsen ’15 and Indigo Eisendrath ’17 each played a half in the net, with Bentsen picking up the win.

“We weren’t making any sloppy mistakes, and we tied together everything we have been working on,” Shipman said.

Last season, the Ladies suffered only two defeats and won the conference. Looking ahead, they face a string of challenging games.

“Everyone this year more than others gets along on and off the field, and everyone is playing for each other,” Shipman said. “We are working really hard for each other because we know what we are capable of.”

The Ladies host Otterbein University today at 4:30 p.m., and Oberlin College on Saturday.