Men’s tennis goes 1-2 at Indoor Tennis Association championships

By Reed Dickerson | Staff Writer

Sam Geier '16 picked up three wins over the weekend. (Courtesy of Ryan Baker)
Sam Geier ’16 picked up three wins over the weekend. (Courtesy of Ryan Baker)

This past weekend, Kenyon’s men’s tennis team played three matches on the road in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) National Indoor Championships hosted by Case Western Reserve University (CWRU) in Cleveland. The Lords went up against CWRU on Friday night, Feb. 21, and played Emory University and California Lutheran University on Saturday, Feb. 22. In their first two games, the Lords played close but ultimately unsuccessful matches, losing both by scores of 4-5. However, in their final match of the day, Kenyon blew California Lutheran out of the water with a decisive 8-1 win.

“Losing 5-4 to both Case Western and Emory was very tough, as they both would have been good wins for us,” Wade Heerboth ’15 wrote in an email. “Being able to compete with these top teams without being fully healthy is a very good sign for the future of our season, and while these losses were painful, they show signs of a bright future.”

The matches against CWRU and Emory were the Lord’s first losses of the season, and their first back-to-back losses since the 2010-11 season. The victory against California Lutheran still puts the Lord’s season record at 4-2. In doubles against California Lutheran, the Lords cleaned up all three doubles matches, with Tim Rosensteel ’15 and Sam Geier ’16 winning the first match 8-4, and the pairing of Michael Razumovsky ’15 and Heerboth following up with the same score in the next match. Tristan Kaye ’16 and Colin Haas ’15 picked up the final doubles match by the wide margin of 8-1.

In singles, the Lords won all but the last match, with Razumovsky and Heerboth opening up the singles with wins of 6-2, 6-1 and 6-2, 6-0. This marks Heerboth’s second 3-0 match, improving his record to 6-0 for the season. Continuing the series of wins, Geier, Rosensteel and Jacob Huber ’15 all scored for Kenyon. Geier finished with a 6-3, 6-2, Rosensteel won 6-3, 7-5 and Huber notched another victory with a 6-3, 7-5 finish.

“I am very happy with my performance in singles, and it is a big confidence booster to start off the season 6-0 as an individual,” Heerboth wrote. “I hope to make individual nationals this year and it is great to already have several key wins that can make that happen. The team always takes top priority for me though, and even on a day where I win and the team loses, I still feel like I lost as an individual.”

The Lords will play over spring break, starting with Sewanee: The University of the South in Tennessee on Saturday, March 1. Kenyon will then head to Florida and Georgia for matches against the University of West Florida, Christopher Newport University and Georgia Gwinnett College.