Lords lacrosse stays undefeated, beats Mount St. Joseph 11-5

By Esteban Bachelet | Sports Assistant

Defender Jack Fraser '15 had one ground ball and caused one turnover in the Lords' 11-5 home victory over the College of Mount St. Joseph.
Defender Jack Fraser ’15 had one ground ball and caused one turnover in the Lords’ 11-5 home victory over the College of Mount St. Joseph.

As the remaining patches of snow melted on the McBride Field on a rare warm winter day, Kenyon’s lacrosse team beat the College of Mount St. Joseph’s Lions 11-5 to start the season 2-0 for the first time since 2000.

The win will go down as two-sided, however — on one hand, the Lords led the Lions throughout, but on the other, the Lords played passively for long stretches and were unable to take advantage of the Lions’ zonal marking.

“I am seeing some really good signs, and we’ll always take a win,” Head Coach Doug Misarti said, “but at the same time, when we sit down and watch the film with the team later, I think they are going to see those moments where things broke down.”

The Lords started the game quickly, taking a 2-0 advantage in the first quarter courtesy of Nicky Lenard ’15 and Caleb Florence ’14.

The second quarter also belonged to the Lords, as Phil Alimam ’16, Alex Lopez ’17, Patrick Kim ’15, Fritz Waine ’15 and Zach Arlia ’14 all scored to put the Lords up 7-2 by halftime.

A combination of lack of crisp ball movement and hesitation in opportunities reversed Kenyon’s fortunes in the second half. The Lions clawed their way back to shorten the deficit to 7-5 after the Lords failed to find the net despite getting opportunities.

“We played the way we wanted to play,” said Lenard, who collected three points during the game, registering a goal and two assists. “We just didn’t execute the way that we wanted to.”

The Lords expected the Lions to show some man-to-man defense but instead faced mostly zones — something they had expected, but of a different variation.

“We would get lulled to sleep by their defense,” Lenard said.

Mount St. Joseph utilized a slow pace and man-up situations to attack the Lords in surprising bursts that caught the defense off guard.

“Defensively, it wasn’t one of our better games,” Misarti said. “Our communication was not very strong. We took a couple of bad penalties.”

Fortunately, the Lords came alive with 5:32 left in the fourth quarter. Florence sparked a four-goal outburst that sealed the game at 11-5. Trey Trudell ’16, Aliman and Lopez all contributed goals in the fourth quarter. Aliman, Lopez and Florence finished with two goals apiece.

“This week of practice has been very good and it looks promising,” Lenard said.

The Lords will play five games over spring break, with the stiffest competition coming first at Sewanee: The University of the South, a team notoriously difficult for the Lords. They will travel to Tennessee to face Sewanee on March 2.